Food Floof! Are you a picky eater?
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (81)
Related Discussions
Are you a picky eater?
Comments (46)I am a picky eater. DH is not. My kids -- well, two out of three of them -- eat a wide range of foods. But because I am picky and I am Head Chef, my family only gets adventurous foods (my term) when they eat elsewhere! It's become a joke with people who know us. "Can we go to this restaurant? Can you find anything on the menu that you'll eat?" I'm not THAT bad but I am a baby and won't try ethnic foods like Indian, Moroccan, etc... I do eat Chinese food and Thai and Mexican. I can't stand dishes that mix meat and fruit. It just makes me want to gag. I won't eat hummus. I don't get it. Blecch. But it's always in the fridge because my family likes it. I balk at eating casseroles when I can't identify the ingredients. I don't like certain foods to "run together" on the plate -- I got that one from my father. Certain things are okay, but OMG, if I have a cold salad on a plate and it's running into something hot on the plate? IWWWW. Raw oysters or clams? Grosss. But I love lobster and shrimp. I am fully aware that I am a baby and perhaps a little bit crazy in this regard!...See MoreThree Yr Old Picky Eater,Losing Weight-help
Comments (6)She's never taken him to a doctor!?! At least he's had his shots. I hate to say this, but you may have to let him sit in front of the tv to get him to eat anything. Does he actually eat, when he's there, or does he pick and play? My son has weird eating habits, in that he doesn't always like to stay at the table and sit down to eat. He got into the bad habit of running around (esp. during lunch) and taking bites here and there, but he does eat, so I don't fuss too much. Of course you know, that they are going through growth spurts, and sometimes he may really not be hungry or want anything. If you could find a way to make the table more pleasurable, maybe by adding confetti to it, tying balloons to the chairs, lighting candles (under close supervision) then he'd be more inclined to come sit and eat. Also, does he have any favorite foods? I read an article today where the child loved pancakes but wouldn't eat her veggies, so the mother pureed carrots and things and poured it into pancake batter, and the child ate it up! Also, forgo the highchair. My son never really used one. He did have a booster type seat with a tray. I think that maybe at this age, he just doesn't want to be confined. My son didn't at age 2. I really hope this helps. Please keep us informed, I'd love to hear if there is any progress. And, is there any way you could take him to the pediatrician yourself? Your daughter may be mad at you, but hey, you'd be helping keep your grandson healthy. Just a thought....See MoreS/o picky eaters and lunch at school
Comments (38)Annie, I actually don't have a problem with Sebastian choosing to socialize rather then eat, well not with Sebastian anyway. I feel that part of why he is going to school is for the social part. I hate the way the schools devalue eating and socialization. The other problem is the cafeteria, actually it is a cafe-gym-atorium and it is loud and awful. All the kids prefer it when they have lunch in their classroom, at least according to my informal poll. lol, I have often had much with them in the cafeteria and once in the classroom. They were much better at eating while socializing in the classroom. The problem is lunch is when the teachers get a break. I would like teachers to eat with them and have their break during recess. My felling about food is make sure to feel good about everything you serve so it does not matter what they make a meal of. I told a friend of mine when we had 1 year olds, serve them good food and don't pay attention to what is on the floor or still on the tray. So long as you served it it counts. I don't even make my kids take a bite. I tried that once and the gaging etc was not worth it. Plus he had built up that he would not like it. I have told them if it is on their plate and they don't want it, don't talk about it. If they say something is disgusting I will require a bite, ignore it and I am fine. I just hate to have my food insulted ;-) Also they will need these manners for other peoples homes. My kids can have problems in the house of some peers as they are used to a certain level of food. They will not eat frozen pizza, super market rotisserie chicken ... We have friends who eat frozen pizza, when we go over to their house for pizza we bring dough, sauce etc. -Robin...See Moreshih tzu is such a picky eater
Comments (4)Giving in to his pickiness only reinforces it. Pretty soon all he'll want is venison and potatoes, and I don't mean the doggie food version! Keep him away from the cat food somehow, and he'll eventually get hungry enough to eat his own food. Unless of course he really is sick- my Husky Aleksander got really picky before he died of gastric adenocarcinoma....See More
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESMake Your Garden a Haven for Backyard Birds
Create a bird-friendly habitat in your yard with food, water and shelter
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: How to Have a Successful Potluck
Avoid confusion over food allergies, leftovers, casserole dishes and who gets to drink that nice bottle of wine with these helpful tips
Full Story
ENTERTAININGModern Manners: Smooth Moves for Kids' Visits
For hosting kids or visiting with Junior in tow, we give you a plan to keep stress levels low and fun levels high
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESWhy Ornamental Plants Matter
Despite the name, ornamental plants aren’t frills. They’re vital to healthy gardens — and healthy humans
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES6 Steps to Creating Your Butterfly Garden
Encourage these fanciful winged beauties to visit your garden while helping restore their fragmented habitat
Full Story
LIFETable Manners for Modern-Day Dining
Elbows and cell phones? Maybe. Forgetting to say 'thank you'? No way. Our mealtime etiquette guide takes the guesswork out of group dining
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHouzz Guide: How to Set a Table
Here’s everything you need to know to prep your table for a get-together
Full Story
LIFE9 Ways to Nail This Whole Family Dinner Thing
Make family dinners enjoyable with these tips from a ‘family dinner expert’ and Houzz users
Full Story

LIFE21 Things Only People Living With Kids Will Understand
Strange smells, crowded beds, ruined furniture — here’s what cohabiting with little monsters really feels like
Full Story
Michael