SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Selling my dad’s house

Sueb20
3 years ago

So, quick recap, my usually healthy and active 85 yo dad went from working and going to the gym 7 days/week to a sudden hospital stay for 10 days, 2 weeks rehab, and went from rehab to assisted living near us (2 hours from his home). The poor guy stopped in for a dr appt one morning on his way to work and never went home again. Over the past 2 months, in addition to coordinating his care and changing his address and getting his insurance sorted out (nightmare), I’ve been getting his house ready to sell.

It‘s been so weird to go through every drawer and cabinet and closet after 44 years. Mostly meaningless and cheap junk, thanks to his second wife, who was a QVC hoarder (she died 10 years ago and I had no idea how much stuff was still stashed away in closets, drawers, attic). It was such a challenge to find any place to take donations during Covid but I finally found a charity to take every single piece of furniture and about 20 boxes of dish ware and tchotchkes. I had 1800 JUNK come twice to take the real junk. Meanwhile, had to have electrical and plumbing repairs, then cleaning co., then carpet cleaner. (Even though I’m sure the buyers will rip out the carpet on day one — there are hardwood floors hidden under there! But in 1977 carpet was cool.)

The house could be adorable but hasn’t been updated in a long time. While I’ve been busy cleaning it out, I’ve also been mentally redecorating, of course! Every room is wallpapered, and the carpet is yucky. Just new paint and restoring wood floors would be enormous improvement. The kitchen is tiny so a rehab wouldn’t cost too much — even just paint the 80s oak cabinets and replace the Formica counter. I’m hoping a young couple with some vision buys it and spruces it up.

Anyway, the house went on the market yesterday and I feel equal parts accomplishment and sadness. Overall though, relief to have this one element of my dad’s ongoing issues settled. The good news is that the house went on the market around midday yesterday and by the end of the day, 13 tours were scheduled. I hope it sells quickly, and with no complications.

Comments (46)