SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_22236253

Selling my home to my tenant

HU-22236253
5 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!

This is my first time posting here, so I really appreciate any advice and help.

I am in the military and I bought my first house in 2015 for 180,000. I bought because I liked the idea of owning something instead of renting and putting my money towards generating some equity. I received new orders this past February and since moving, I have rented out the house to a friend, who said they wanted to stay there for three years (that would have been perfect). Last week I got a message that they want to now buy the house for 190,000. I have 169,000 left on the mortgage and I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it to just sell. Obviously I don't need a real estate agent in this situation, I think I only need the real estate attorney for writing the contract, etc. However, my friend said that she has a real estate agent, because they were initially thinking of buying something else in the area. Would I still be responsible to pay her real estate agent? or should I just ask her not to use the agent to save me having to pay the commission. It doesn't seem right for me to pay for real estate agent services when I am going to be selling to my tenant/friend, especially when my profit is pretty limited.

Lastly, I am looking to sell instead of continuing to rent it out because I just don't want to deal with the stress of not being in the area anymore and having to deal with maintenance from afar, and I do not believe I will ever be living in this area again.

Thank you in advance for any and all help regarding my dilemma. Have a great day!

Comments (10)