What is Cooking This Weekend!

Marilyn_Sue

Today we are having a picnic on the porch! I will be watching my little granddaughter while her Mommy has some pre op talk with the doctor. She will be back in time to join us. Daughter Cheryl and husband Kevin will join us. Planning fried chicken, green beans, corn on the cob and fruit. I also made cream of potato soup with rivels for Alyssa to take home with her.

A couple days ago I fixed the turkey breast, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and noodles and shared with them too.

I have no Memorial plans but that does not mean we won't!. I am still staying home.

Sue in Central Indiana

SaveComment31Like2
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooper8828

It will be just the two of us. I'm going to smoke a chicken and have potato salad, beans, and rolls. That should hold us over for a couple of days.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
hallngarden

Slow cooker ribs, someone posted recipe on other cooking thread, raining here and sounds delicious. Corn on cob, potato salad, garden salad,chips, chicken salad sandwiches. We are having a porch party with our 2 grands. Lots of air hugs. We are so thankful they live two blocks from us. Just got a grocery delivery ,sure we will add more.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Sunday we are going to grill a spatchcocked chicken. Tonight a new-to-me recipe for zucchini lasagna and tomorrow the Korean Beef recipe posted in one of the other discussions - I need to find it this morning so if I need to get something from the store I can get it while we're out this afternoon. Hopefully at some point we will get to visit with our grandkids.

colleenoz

I'm curious, Cooper, how do you get a chicken to light up? ;-D

We're past our peak now and starting to open up again so we're going to our friends' olive farm for the annual harvest launch. A bunch of family and friends of the owners get together and start early-ish to pick olives all morning, stop for morning tea, pick more olives, then those who wish go over to the olive oil mill with the olives we've picked (we usually manage about a ton) get turned into olive oil. Then we go back to the house for showers and a lavish late lunch which generally morphs into a lazy dinner. It's a lot of fun with lots of convivial chatter as we pick the olives and not really very strenuous. We all get two litres of olive oil to take home (I usually get extra :-)).

Traditionally I do the bulk of the morning tea offerings (hence the extra olive oil) so this year I have baked Sicilian pine nut cookies (gluten free), Anglophilia's chocolate chunk and stem ginger cookies, savoury cheese and herb scones, pumpkin scones with home made cherry jam, apple and sour cream slice, brownies, sausage rolls, and made ham with mango-chilli chutney, and mock chicken sandwiches. Looking forward to tomorrow!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Annegriet

Bread!

Jasdip

I went to my step-father's this morning and picked his rhubarb. This weekend is going to be a rhubarb weekend. A pie first off, then a really good rhubarb cake that I had at my sil's when I picked up the quilt she made for me. I have a favourite rhubarb muffin recipe as well.

This is also my weekend to make bread, I make it every couple of weeks.

I bought another produce box today, and of course it had an English cucumber. I already have an English cucumber, so I'm going to make Cold Cucumber Soup.

happy2b…gw

Everyone's plans sound like so much fun and delicious. One of my daughters put in a special request for beef stroganoff. It will be ready soon for pick up or delivery. She lives close by. It smells delicious.

nancyjane_gardener

Normally, Memorial Day we would be opening up our cabin in No CA at the Russian River. Due to the virus, our tenants, who usually travel for a couple of months in order to give us our summer months can't be going to Japan to see relatives, so we let them keep the place for the full year.

I think our favorite market will have their sale on the BEST RIBS EVER this week, so it'll be ribs, maybe potato salad and some sort of vege........maybe zuk?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Just got invited to son's house for a cookout Monday. YAY!! I'll be taking macaroni salad, homemade baked beans and I am finally going to get to make a loaf of Annie's no-knead bread (had to borrow a dutch oven!)

Lars

I also have to bake bread today (or tomorrow), and I will be grilling ahi tuna for dinner tonight. Tomorrow we will grill a double turkey breast, and then I will have to freeze half of it, as that is more than we can eat in a short amount of time. I bought spinach and kale and will probably make a Tuscan kale salad tomorrow.

Kathsgrdn

Nothing, it's a long, 12 1/2 hours, 3 days work weekend for me. I got Mexican food yesterday and froze some of it for work meals.

dee_can1

Pan-fried haddock, potatoes, peas and carrots last night. Tonight, fish cakes.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

It's rhubarb season and I made a big pot of rhubarb sauce yesterday I will share with my sister.

I have been feeling the need for something sweet and indulgent so I am considering making a sour cream coffee cake....maybe :-) If so, I'll share some of that also (altho sis is not big on many carbs).

I have no plans for the weekend and have no idea what else I might cook. I do have a flat iron steak in the freezer I could grill, as I have a taste for some beef. Also have all the ingredients for a pot of minestrone that I need to use soon.

I've been doing a lot more snacking or grazing than actual cooking. Just can't be bothered! 😙

georgysmom2

First thing will be Crusty Bread....it's still rising right now. Then I'm going to make Zucchini Raisin Bran Bread. Dinner is stuffed shells and salad. Tomorrow I'm making Shrimp Creole and Monday probably hamburgers and macaroni salad.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@Jasdip, you stated " This is also my weekend to make bread, I make it every couple of weeks. " I am wondering how you store your bread that it lasts that long. The last two 1 1/2-pound loaves I made had to be tossed, because they got so moldy. Have decided I will just have to reduce recipes to make a 1-pound loaf in my mini Zoji.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night had a delicious piece of salmon, a roasted potato, and chilled asparagus. Forgot to take a picture. It was just a great meal.

Tonight is my Saturday Night Meal. I alternate Saturdays, having pizza and salad one Saturday and wings and fries the next Saturday. Tonight is wings and fries night plus will have a beer or two with it. Used to never have beer with wings and fries, but kept seeing so many people saying they always had beer with wings, so decided to try it. Now I buy a 6-pack of beer to last me for several Saturday nights.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
ritaweeda

DH offered to do some smoking so I'll get a couple of things for that, definitely a whole chicken and something else. We'll do enough for Sunday and Monday. Walnut Creek, that's the one thing that really irritates me about going to the trouble of making bread - the waste. Now when I make 2 loaves if I'm not giving any away I freeze one. We really take bread for granted when we aren't making it at home. DH likes the homemade but he continually forgets that I've made it and uses the store-bought for sandwiches, really irritates me.

functionthenlook

Just the usual picnic food on Monday . Hamburgers, coleslaw, corn on the cob, baked potatoes and cake. I dug the slip n slide out for the grandgirls and if we have time we will walk down to the playground.

georgysmom2

WalnutCreek, I don't know what Jasdip does, but I slice my bread, put it on a tray and freeze it, then put in zip-lock bag. It lasts for weeks. Just take out what I want and put in toaster oven.

Jasdip

WC as Georgysmom does. I let it cool completely, slice and freeze it. I just snap off the slices I need. That way I can keep making my 2 loaves at a time. I did make 1 loaf the first time, after Tom died, but I have to heat the oven anyway, so I've been making my regular recipe. Sometimes 2 loaves, sometimes 1 loaf and the rest into rolls.

ruthanna_gw

We are having a basically quiet weekend since our county is still under stay-at-home orders. Yesterday, I made a leftover ham, asparagus, leek and mushroom pie for dinner and a raisin spice cake for our evening treat. Today, I used the balance of the leeks for leek and potato soup, which we’ll have for lunches later next week. I was looking through Molly O’Neill’s New York Cookbook and saw a recipe for Horn & Hardart‘s baked beans so they’ve been in the oven for hours @ 250 degrees. We’ll have them with potato salad and grilled burgers. No cooking tomorrow because spouse picked up a complete rib picnic from our dining club. We’ll just have to reheat the hot items.

happy2b…gw

I decided that I was going to make today special since I feel like I have been in and out of a slump. So tonight husband and I will prepare grilled scallops, caprese salad, brussel sprouts. I think I will set the dining room table with the Lenox and silver and open a bottle of wine.

hallngarden

Mustard based bbq chicken, garden salad, peach cobbler. Easy peasy today.

nancyofnc

Being that weekends are so like weekdays during this time, it makes no difference to the day. We can't do any meat other than chicken and fish, so a lot of beans, eggs, and veggies. I'd visit happy2b..gw in a heartbeat - sounds delish. Today I did make banana ice cream, pineapple upside down carrot cake, and sweet potato pie from this week's leftovers (freezer stocking up for when I don't want to bake). I am hungry for Asian food (no take out available) so for the rest of the day I'm frying egg rolls, cutting up stuff for tomorrow's sushi, cooking sushi rice (more freezer food). Surprisingly my grocery delivery store had the pound of snow peas I ordered, Napa cabbage, bean sprouts, and also fresh oysters (for fried Po'boys not Asian). We finally have warmer weather - too much d*mn rain March, April, May. Grill is waiting for me, I need black charred to make me happy. BBQ Chicken and fish there, fresh pineapple, onions topped with horseradish in sour cream, maybe asparagus that finally decided to grow - 2 months late with all that rain. Quarantined is good for my cooking, bad for my not being able to share with anyone other than DH. Thought about gifting neighbors anonymously but they might just chuck it with suspicion.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Made and baked this 1 pound loaf yesterday in my Zoji mini bread maker. I usually bake in the oven, but decided to let the bread machine do the whole job. It is a very good bread, Made toast with it this morning. The recipe is from another site.

Here is the recipe for the reduced proportions thanks to foodonastump and chasO45 for their help with reducing the recipe. I was having trouble in reducing the honey, oil, and sugar. I put the first five ingredients in the bread pan first, then the flour and the yeast. That seemed to work better for me than putting the salt and sugar in separate wells on top of the flour. I did make a well to add the yeast to.

1 lb loaf

2/3 c water

4 t honey

4 t oil

4 t sugar

1 t salt

2 c flour

1 1/2 t yeast

Cloud Swift

Found some poppy seed filling in the freezer (left overs from making hamentashen) and I'm trying to decide what to make with it. Maybe babka, maybe some kind of danish?

Annie Deighnaugh

Yesterday I made a vegetable penne casserole...came out good and now I don't have to cook all weekend! Yeah!

marilyn_c

It's noon and I just came in from outside. I went out at 7:30 so I am going to have a old drink and then fry some catfish.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I made a big bowl of my potato salad. We were supposed to have ribs on the grill but it is pouring rain ☔ and 🌩 out there and I didn't want to do them in the oven or instant pot etc. I wanted real grilled ribs. So we are having potato salad for dinner. We have other options but I think we are going to do just potato salad. It's been a long time since I made it.

glenda_al

I had a Jimmy Dean pancake and sausagewich.

rob333 (zone 7a)

For lunch, grilled chicken. It was so good!

https://damndelicious.net/2015/06/22/easy-grilled-chicken/

Easy Grilled Chicken

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

• Juice of 1 lemon

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

• 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed

• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

• 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary

• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, lemon juice,
    olive oil, Dijon, brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic, thyme, oregano
    and rosemary; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reserve 1/4 cup and
    set aside.
  2. In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine balsamic vinegar
    mixture and chicken; marinate for at least 1 hour to overnight, turning
    the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade.
  3. Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add chicken to grill and cook,
    flipping once and basting with reserved 1/4 cup marinade until cooked
    through, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
  4. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Summer Living: How to Welcome Weekend Guests
Thoughtful touches and smart planning make summer visitors feel right at home
Full Story
Life 10 Steps to a Happier Weekend
Savor your precious days off while still checking off to-do’s by following this simple plan
Full Story
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More
King Construction Company, LLC has been custom building all types of agricultural and accessory buildings for... Read More