OT.....Good Old Schooldays in UK
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Falling Behind
Comments (21)I feel compelled to put in a good word for mothers who are struggling to do a difficult job under trying circumstances, often berating themselves mercilessly that they aren't capable of fulfilling a June Cleaver fantasy. I personally know a number of working mothers who get up in the morning, supervise their children getting ready for school while getting themselves ready as well. Some cook a breakfast, some have their children get their own breakfast, while some hand their children some kind of food-like breakfast product, heavily advertised and what the children have been brainwashed into preferring. They then drive their children to school (or day care if the children are too young for school), then go to work. If they are not single mothers, usually the father picks them up after school/day care. This chore is frequently shared. In any case, whether they pick up the children themselves or a partner does it, the mothers come home to supervise dinner and homework then fall exhausted into bed that night. In my high-pressure, high-expectation part of the country, weekends are dominated by extras for the children - language school, sports, music or dance lessons, or extra tutoring, along with what ever social life the children or parents may have. Most mothers whom I know work full time, many in demanding professional careers, and most of them also take their role as mothers very seriously. They are often simply exhausted. I am sure that there are indeed any number of lazy mothers who neglect their children's well-being, but honestly I think most mothers do the very best they can, often under trying circumstances. Rosefolly...See MoreA Harry Potter summer
Comments (30)No, but then I haven't looked. I like to deal with Costco whenever possible (DD works for them) but we don't have one within 50 miles, so I preordered the Half-blood Prince from them last year on their web site but they had a huge problem with their vendor and I didn't get the book when promised and so cancelled the order, got a refund, and walked into Sam's Club locally and bought one-they had loads of them! So that is what I plan to do in July with the final book. Both Costco & Sam's sell books much cheaper and if you have one locally you also save postage! Pat...See MoreBooker Price Longlist 2016
Comments (10)Right. Finished All That Man Is. It is very good...but is it a novel? It's nine short stories about men; the men are all different sorts of people, from many different parts of the world (mainly European). The main theme is that is all the stories, the man seems to go on some sort of journey. The first is about a teenager (or two) and the last is about an old man; the rest are various ages in between, getting older and older. All the stories are interesting, and there are other common themes...but I'm still not convinced that it is really a novel. One criticism is that the last one is about an old man, trying to come to terms with the fact that he is an old man. But he's actually only seventy-three - to me, it reads more like someone in his eighties. Perhaps I'm more aware of that, as I'm now over sixty - I certainly hope I'm not as doddery as he is when I'm seventy-three! David Szalay was born in 1974, so is forty-three - I'd have hoped he's be a bit more optimistic about aging... I'll read some reviews and see what others have to say. But I liked it, and if it is short-listed, I'll look forward to re-reading it. Now onto My Name is Lucy Barton, as Sheri is so positive about Elizabeth Strout. I've read nothing by her....See MoreWot! Three Weeks in and no books left to read?
Comments (57)I'm probably sounding like a cracked record but. thinking of the post stated by Rosefolly about what we call our grandparents . .. Many years ago when DD was about ten she answered the phone and came into us saying "The person I spoke to wouldn't give her name and said 'He will know who it is.' 'Daddy, I think it must be your Mother.' DH groaned and went to take the call. After a couple of minutes he put his head round the door and said to me 'My Mother says you (ie. me Vee) are not to come to her funeral.' I was so fed-up with all the abuse I had put up with for so many years I replied "When is it?" which John relayed to his Mother . . . I know this wasn't a very Christian attitude but she was in good health and not likely to fall off her perch in the near future. In fact when she did die many years later DH went to her funeral and the only people there were his sister, husband and two daughters, a 'representative' of the firm that provided home-care and the wife of the church Minister. And this is someone who had lived in the same place for more than 50 years. It seems so sad that someone's life is so filled with hate....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Stories

ARCHITECTUREBack to the Futuro: Tour a Lovingly Restored ‘Spaceship’ Home
Travel back to the ’60s Space Age with a rare glimpse inside an original House of the Future
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES10 Things to Ask Your Contractor Before You Start Your Project
Ask these questions before signing with a contractor for better communication and fewer surprises
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGN5 Gravel and Stone Types for a Rockin' Landscape
Give your garden design some textural bam with pebbles, granite, river rocks and other permeable materials
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGThe Allure of a Well-Designed Carport
Easy access, unobstructed views and architectural appeal are a few of the reasons to love a carport
Full Story
ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: A Laundry So Cheery, Wash Day Is Wonderful
Pretty paint and playful touches banish chore-day blahs in a laundry room designed for a magazine’s Idea House
Full Story
MOST POPULAR13 Upgrades to Make Over Your Outdoor Grill Area
Kick back on your patio or deck with a grill that focuses on fun as much as function
Full Story
Kath