Wot! Three Weeks in and no books left to read?
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (57)
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
I'm running away and need good books. What are you reading?
Comments (53)Chris Bohjalian, who's been mentioned already, also had a book out of compilations from a column he wrote when he moved to Vermont. It's called "Idyll Banter," and I really enjoyed it. Right now, I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," which is a few years old. I'm enjoying it. "The Distant Hours" -- (fiction) about a letter posted in 1941 that reaches its destination in 1992 -- is one of the titles on my to-be-read list. "A Vintage Affair" I read a few books back. Really liked it. A mystery to go along with your cruise theme? Mary Higgins Clark's "Santa Cruise."...See MoreBook of the Week
Comments (3)What a nice review! Since I can totally relate to Koontz's feelings about his dog, I will try to put this on my reading list. Since I have read several of his books, I can tell you that they are indeed way-out. I am glad to find that there is another facet to his work....See MoreBook of the Week
Comments (7)Stacey - This is a good suggestion; thank you! A friend sent DH and me Sugar Street and Palace of Desire just a few weeks ago and this is a reminder to read them (my TBR pile is so large, sigh). DH spent a year in Cairo working on his graduate degree in Arabic and read some Mahfouz then. He is a great writer. If you enjoyed the way Mahfouz writes about Egypt, you might also enjoy The Alexandria Quartet, by Lawrence Durrell. These are four novels about a group of people, mainly expatriots, in Alexandria before and during WW2. They are poetic and a bit abstract, without a set plot from start to finish. That in a way reflects Egypt itself, which has spent the last thousand years muddling along. One of my all time favorite novels is Nile, by Laurie Devine, a postwar story of a young woman who undergoes female circumcision and then must make an independent life of her own, led primarily by her emotions and the very unsuitable man she loves. This is a straightforward tale, beautifully written, filled with details of Egyptian life. If you liked Mahfouz, I think you'll like this one!...See MoreBest Books Read in 2014
Comments (29)Hi, Sheriz! My background is English lit and up until only about 8 years ago did I start reading anything contemporary! I had an English professor that once told us that even if we lived to be 100, we still wouldn't have time to read everything we want to read - so choose wisely. I took her advice to heart! However, after my third child was born, I needed to read something other than the classics. I'm finding that I seem to gravitate toward historical fiction the most. My reading list from 2014 contains a lot of historical mystery because I am trying my hand at writing my own mystery set in the 1930's, so I felt like I should have something to compare it to. Since you're a Georgette Heyer fan, which one do you recommend the most? I liked her style, but Pistols for Two was a collection of short stories, which I didn't realize when I bought it. I'd prefer a novel! Any suggestions? I've enjoyed looking at everyone's reading lists, too. I tend to steer away from book clubs because I don't have time to read something I'm not that interested in just for the sake of a discussion, but this is a nice alternative! Right now I'm reading Summer of the Bear by Bella Pollen. Anyone else? It's well written and an interesting story, but a little slow. Thanks for sharing! Michelle...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES20 Book Lover’s Spaces That Will Make You Want to Read
Borrow these ideas from spaces designed around a love of books
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘Stay Humble’ and More of the Week’s Tips and Ideas
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
BEDROOMSNew This Week: 6 Pleasing Bedrooms With a Place to Sit
Get ideas for bedroom seating where you can sip coffee, read a book, have a conversation and relax
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: A Onetime Carnegie Library Gets Cooking
Trading books for baguettes, this California kitchen underwent years of remodels before its latest modern incarnation
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGHow to Let Go of Unwanted Books and Magazines
Buried in reading material? This guide will help you decide what to keep and what to give away, sell or recycle
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESNovel Ways With Bedroom Books
Reading and relaxing go hand in hand. See how designers are incorporating mini and all-out libraries in the bedroom
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLWhat’s the Best Way to Spend the Week After Christmas?
Do you catch up on home projects and reading? Or do you like to get out of town? Please share what has worked for you!
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Zoned Layout for a Family That Loves to Cook
A designer makes a kitchen function for three generations and gives it warm, modern style
Full Story
carolyn_ky