SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheriz6

Best Books Read in 2014

sheriz6
9 years ago

So what were your favorite books this year?

I'm a long-time fan of year-end book lists, both as a look back at stories I really enjoyed and as a way to add to next year's TBR pile. In tallying up my favorites, I was a bit surprised to find that almost all of what I liked best in 2014 fell into the fantasy category. In no particular order, here are my favorite books read this year.

1) The Martian by Andy Weir. This hard sci-fi survival tale of an astronaut left behind on Mars when his crew believes him dead was fascinating. While it was a little dry in a few places, the science of his survival was well-explained, well written, and easily understandable, and the writing was sharp and very funny in spots. It was a real page-turner and I hope the movie does the book justice.

2) The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness. This was the third book in her All Souls trilogy and it was a wonderful wrap-up to the series. I loved the characters and this mix of literary and popular fiction (very literary vampires, witches, missing manuscripts from Oxford's Bodleian Library, and time travel) was fantastic. I will be re-reading these again soon.

3) The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Set in1899 New York City, a place teeming with immigrants and a melting pot of cultures and stories, this tale of two supernatural beings finding each other and surviving in the human world was beautifully written and just a wonderful story all around.

4) Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. The main character goes to work in Mr. Penumbra's book store and is soon drawn into the mysterious research his customers are doing. Figuring out what's going on and then trying to solve the puzzle himself with the aid of computers pits book research against the internet in a very interesting way.

5) A Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker. I loved this story of a woman pulled from her own ordinary world into Faerie, and then rescued by a wizard from still another magical land. The author does a great job of world-building, and the quest the main character must undertake to get herself home is only the beginning of her adventures. There's a sequel in the works and I can't wait.

6) The Iron Seas books by Meljean Brook. This is a steampunk adventure/romance series that starts with The Iron Duke and includes three additional full novels (Heart of Steel, Riveted, The Kraken King) and five novellas (The Blushing Bounder, Here There Be Monsters, Wrecked, Tethered, and Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City). Brook's world-building is terrific, her imagination is boundless, her characters are witty, smart and sexy, and I loved every one of these books.

What books did you enjoy most this past year?

Comments (29)