Best Books Read in 2019
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
Related Discussions
Best books to read about flower farming....
Comments (3)Also, Specialty Cut Flowers by Armitage and Laushman is pretty much essential for flower growers, I think. It includes propagation, growing on, harvesting, and post-harvest handling of many specialty cut flowers. There is info on greenhouse growing of many of them, as well. ThinMan...See MoreBest book to read for a First Time Owner Build
Comments (15)We are in the throes of GCing our first build. It is so time-consuming, but definitely doable. Sure, I've had a lot of stress that I wouldn't have had if we had hired a turnkey builder, but it's helping us to afford what we really want. I spend a LOT of time over there. It's 11 AM and I've already been out twice this morning. I am making 2-3 trips some days, but fortunately we currently live about 12 minutes away from our building site. It helps that I am home full time. My husband works a lot, but he is still able to help with phone calls and such. I'm not sure how much of owner building experience is area specific, but it's very common in this area. The subs are very used to working with OBs. We lucked out with our framer as he helped us coordinate a lot of the stuff on the front end for no additional cost over his framing charge. We also have a lot of recommendations from people who recently GC'd their own homes so it helps to know who to use and who not to use. Having said that, we have had a not-so-great experience with our plumber. You will definitely encounter things that have to be changed or modified. You'll need to be able to make decisions on the fly. I think the biggest thing you'll need to do is be able to forecast how each step affects the next. It's definitely not impossible if you have time to invest in it and research everything. Ask around for recommendations on subs and see their work. Good subs will give you references also. Like JDez, I actually prefer the control it gives me....See MoreBest Books Read in 2016
Comments (23)Count me in amongst those who do not keep records of my reading, though I greatly admire those of you with the self discipline to do so. I barely manage to keep garden records. While several books from my last year's reading (2015) impressed me, 2016 was a pleasant but uninspiring year of re-reads and passable but unexciting books. I made no discoveries this year. Can't win 'em all, unfortunately. Sad as it is to say, I have nothing compelling to offer from 2016. Let's hope 2017 will offer richer rewards....See MoreBest time to read a good book ?
Comments (33)Rouan, I would be interested to know if the Vicks works on your particular black fly bites. This morning I found a cluster of bites on my chest and no idea what made them. I did try rubbing on a Dettol cream but that did no good for the painful itch so went back to my arthritis heat cream Dencorub and that has taken away the itch. WARNING .....Don't read this next part if you get queasy.....I find that heat cream raises a blister containing the poison so I pop it and then put on an anti-septic cream so the open sore doesn't get infected. This speeds up the healing from a mozzie bite by a couple of days I have found. Back to books! I have a couple I have started but can't get into them. They were both library requests of authors I like but I have failed to get interested in the plots. I blame this unseasonal weather. It is supposed to be summer but days go from humid to cool and back again. My daughter had a storm in her suburb which has ripped off roofs! The winds were rated at a Category 2 cyclone strength....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES20 Book Lover’s Spaces That Will Make You Want to Read
Borrow these ideas from spaces designed around a love of books
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Dream Summer Reading Spots and the Books That Go With Them
Get inspired by these inspiring outdoor spaces to create your own reading spot — and a new reading list
Full Story
ATTICS8 Tips to Turn Your Attic Into a Snug Reading Nook
If your cherished "me" time starts with a book, take a page from these ideas for converting your attic into a reading heaven
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESInspiring Book Nooks Welcome Young Readers
Encourage a lifelong love of reading with inviting and cozy places where kids can burrow into books
Full StorySponsored



skibby (zone 4 Vermont)