SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lburro1

Living Room/Dining Room/Fireplace design/utilization

Lauren
4 years ago

I would love some ideas on how best to utilize my living room/dining room/wood burning fireplace. I currently use the patio doors that lead from the carport into my dining room as the main entrance. I have a second set of smaller patio doors off of the back porch that lead into my living room. Those doors are blocked by the TV stand because there is no other place to put it that isn't awkward. My biggest pet peeve is that the dining room then becomes the dumping ground for mail, shoes, jackets, etc...I have an entryway bench, but it takes up space.

Here are the options I've currently come up with:

1. Mount the TV (42 in wide) over the fireplace (29 in wide) even though the TV is wider than the fireplace chimney, get rid of the TV stand, and make the living room patio door the main back entryway which would involve moving the entryway bench to those doors.
  2. Option 1, but build a wall extending from the top of the fireplace to the ceiling so that the chimney is not visible and create a new mantle. The sight lines between the dining room and living room would be obstructed.
  3. Leave it as it is.

I'm having a hard time finding inspiration online because of the layout of the rooms and the shape of the fireplace. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

View of Living room from upstairs.

View of Living Room/Dining Room with fireplace and 2 patio doors.

View of Dining Room, back of fireplace, and patio doors leading out to porch and carport.

View of Living Room with TV stand, front of fireplace, and patio doors.

Comment (1)