Keeping Kalamata olives

cloudy_christine

The Italian grocery stand at the farmer's market will do a contactless pickup, I just learned! Better cheeses, pasta, and other things. They have a tub of Kalamata olives in brine. I buy what they dip out into a tiny container. They are usually very good but they do not keep long; they grow mold.

What should I do to extend their life so I can stock up? Shall I: 1) ask the store to cover the olives with brine in a bigger container; 2) drain the brine and cover them with olive oil; or 3) freeze them?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Are you saying they grow moldy in the fridge?

Save    
cloudy_christine

Yes. In less than two weeks.

Save    
cookebook

I think that's odd they would go bad so quickly. I ordered olives a few weeks ago from Amazon and they are still fine. I ordered five pounds though by accident lol Several people who had already ordered the same olives said they stored them in EVOO. Some added wine and other spices.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

So they're loose and not in brine? Can you ask them to add brine to cover - or perhaps you should cover them yourself with oil or vinegar and water - or wine?

Save    
Lars

Maybe the brine is not salty enough. You could remove the brine, add salt to it, and then store them in the saltier brine.

I have bought Kalamata olives that were already stored in olive oil, and they did keep better than those in brine. I don't know if replacing the brine with olive oil will have the same effect, but it might. I would pat them dry with a paper towel before storing them in olive oil.

Save    
cloudy_christine

Carol, at the market the olives are in brine, but they use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a container. I was thinking they might give me extra brine, but might not. I don't think I would want them any saltier than they are. I will be calling ahead to order, so I could ask then. I keep forgetting I won't be there. Sometimes they aren't in brine but are oily, and I like those less. But I may store some in olive oil.

Lars, that's a good tip about patting them dry first. I always buy the unpitted ones. Maybe I'll pit some before storing in oil. I wonder if the oil will keep mold from growing.

Save    
Lars

You could add vinegar to the brine instead of salt, but that would alter the flavor. Another option is to add olive oil on top of the brine (especially if you have a tall narrow jar), and the oil will hermetically seal the jar so that air cannot get down to the brine. This works well in the refrigerator, as this causes the olive oil to solidify.

I often top things off with olive oil to help prevent mold - especially pesto or anything with basil.

If you have a good layer of oil on top and it has solidified, that should prevent mold. If the olives float above the oil, that could create a problem.

Save    
colleenoz

The Greek bulk grocery I get Kalamatas from puts brine to cover in the container if you ask. You need brine for storage.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

Just be sure they weigh them before adding the brine.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

And you can rinse them off before using...

Save    
lindac92

Or....you can put them in olive oil....with some garlic and sprigs of oregano or rosemary....|
They will pick up the flavors.....

Save    
cloudy_christine

I like the idea of rosemary.

Save    
mumkin

I was thinking they might give me extra brine, but might not. I don't think I would want them any saltier than they are.

Get 'em with extra brine. They've been in that liquid a good long time. They're not going to get any saltier.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Olychick

Just be sure they weigh them before adding the brine.

I agree. Just ask for brine after the weigh. They have been in their original brine a long time and will certainly last longer. They do freeze ok. But I get mine, when I used to actually shop, pack from the barrels, have it weighed, then back for brine. (at least my shop did not mind). Oil or salt/pickle brine.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping How to Keep Your Kitchen’s Stainless Steel Spotless
Consider these 6 cleaning tips for maintaining your stainless steel appliances and surfaces
Full Story
Life Consider Avoiding These Plants to Help Keep Your Garden Fire-Safe
Plants that accumulate dead material, are high in oil or have low moisture content in leaves put some homes at risk
Full Story
Kitchen Sinks How to Keep Your Kitchen Sink Looking Great
Learn the care regimen for 10 popular kitchen sink materials, including stainless steel, copper and granite composite
Full Story
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More
We are a company that cares about our clients and the craftsmanship of the work we provide. Honesty, hard work,... Read More