SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

countertop installation-pay GC or pay sub direct

mamaandsage
4 years ago

Designer has made some mistakes. Then she had sore throat and wasn't feeling well when we were supposed to meet to go to countertop fabricator. I told her I could go alone for now since she was sick and cabs will be installed next week-I only have Fridays with hubbie at home with kids. The place said she hadn't sent the rendering to them so they wouldn't give me much to look at. I told them I just want to stay in the budget of the white quartz she bid me at (which I brought a sample of) and it made it difficult to get any good shopping done. She finally sent rendering and I explained to them that the countertop would go out to an 8' window. The guy said designer didn't draw it that way and it would increase price. I feel like I was there 2 hrs and it was a lot of work having them pull out slabs and while the guy who was walking me around was hitting on me. I never found anything accept for a slab of quartz with veining but I also wasn't in love with it-they said it was pricey and my biz has taken a dive with covid so I want to save money somewhere.

I left and went to AZ tile discount center and immediately found 2 slabs of veined quartz that I liked a lot. 3 cm and ranging from $600-$800. From my math and another fabricator I called I just need one slab. I'm not sure what to look for besides cracks but AZ tile told me they have 40 of one of the slabs and 60 of the other and that they are good, just discontinued.

If I had the fabricator I called (who I don't know, he was just on a list from AZ tile) it was around $1600 for installation + $600-800 for a slab= $2200-$2400. GC/designer quoted me $2355 for installation of 2cm quartz and with veining $6500 for white quartz and maybe $1500 more for veining. I have a neighbor who had some good work done or I could use the same fabricator the GC uses since I know someone who used to work there and they say 21 yrs ago they used to do good work and honored their warranties... I'm looking at $9-10,500 with GC or less than $3k if I manage this myself. The fabricators say that it goes just the same if the owner or GC pays. Since my countertop goes straight into the window I'm a little nervous about that, but that's the GC's responsibility to make sure they installed the window and will install the cabs in the right location so that the quartz can fit on top, I'd think.

GC has been good so far but the designer has really missed some things and my guess is this part of the profit goes to the designer? That's a huge amount more! Even if I paid full price at AZ tile, I'd still save potentially $5-6k.

Any tips or things to consider? So far I notice that with a lot of it like the bathroom I did, I'm a fine GC because it's my house and I'm detail oriented, but I know that I dont' know what I dont' know....

thx!! sorry, another long post!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida