SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rayjo_gw

granite counter-top seams ... are we being too picky?

rayjo
15 years ago

Hi all.

We had our granite countertop installed yesterday. We paid a premium (highest quoted price) as a result of a strong recommendation from our cabinet guy (who warned us we may not be happy with a lower-quality job). The other quotes were between $3,300-$4,100 and our guy is charging $4,500.

The stone is Lady Orientale Dream 3/4" Granite: lighter colored stone.

A double thick edge was part of the order. Some of these edge seams look great, but some not so much (in our opinion). Our biggest concern, however, was the counter-top seam between two large pieces (the grain in the counter was poorly matched (color in the two slabs) and the seam itself seems quite visible).

Picture of the seam on the top of counter

[IMG]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8688/807287286150albfm9.jpg[/IMG]

Picture of the double-thickness edge seam

[IMG]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2953/906708286150albco4.jpg[/IMG]

The contractor had the following excuses:

- the material was difficult to work with (and thus shows seams far more than other more consistent colored granites)

- the two slabs to be joined were very large peices and thus the contractor had little choice in the location of the join

- the contractor had to cut the slab again on-site due to an unexpected variation in the evenness of the wall.

- the material we chose chips more than other materials and has inconsistencies throughout the material, and so that's why the product has more glue in some areas of the seams (since the glue is filling out those seams).

- because of the large peices required for our kitchen, the granite was tough to work with.

If we'd been given this info prior to selecting the stone, we probably would have choosen a different product (slightly darker and less color variation). I suppose a buyer should be better informed prior to making a decision like this.

We have under-the-cabinet lighting that will shine right on the seam. As it is, the seam was the first thing I noticed when I walked in the room to inspect the finished job. I suspect the lighting will make it more noticable (once it's installed).

The contractor gave the following suggestions on how he could improve this top seam (but I'm not convinced this will be "good enough"):

- he could work on the countertop seam by using a lighter color glue and try to make the seam less visible. This will hopefully "help blend the transition better between slabs".

- make us a cutting board to put on top of the seam.

Any help on how to manage this situation would be much appreciated. Also, if you think we're being to picky about the job, please let us know.

Thanks.

-Ray

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (44)