SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Counter tops for extra long island (seam or change of material)?

ontariomom
8 years ago

HI GW!

We will have a large island in our kitchen. We are trying to choose between the following three options

1)Have a seam in the island and have the full 125.5" of length. With both a cooktop and prep sink in the island extra length is a bonus so the prep space between these two elements is optimal. If a seam, where should we place the seam?

2)Reduce the island to 119 inches and hope the fabricators can do it and install it without a seam (the fabricators have expressed worry that they can manage an island that size/weightwithout a seam anyway).

3)Change the counter material for the seating area to a solid coloured quartz (maybe grey) so the seam is purposeful and the seating area is highlighted. I would prefer to use counter height stools so I don't want to raise the seating area counter to bar height. Have you seen this done? I have not found too many images on Houzz of this scenario except a few with butcher block and we prefer both materials to be quartz.

Here is an image of our counter material and the kitchen floor plan. We will also have off-white (Alabaster SW) white perimeter cabinets with Bianco Drift quartz on the perimeter counters as well as the island. Our floors are a medium tone brown hardwood. Please note, we want our cooktop on the island so please no comments about moving the cooktop. At this point, we are happy with the layout and just need to make the fine decisions. We have already given the cabinet company a deposit too.

Counter (ignore off white square):

This one shows the counter, our hardwood (left) and island dark stain (small dark wood on bottom). Ignore the other elements.

Here is the kitchen layout so you can see the island size and seating locations.

Please let me know what you would choose from the list of choices above. Any images of island counters with two counter materials?

Carol

Comments (20)