SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

What am I paying the GC for?

melissastar
13 years ago

I"ve about had it with my general contractor. But before I blow my stack, I thought I'd seek a little feedback and see if I'm just expecting too much. In a previous renovation (much more substantial than this one), the general contractor was on the job at least once nearly every day. He coordinated all work and communications with the trades, ordered all materials, told me when I need to make decisions by to keep things moving on a timely basis and gave me a written change order with price on it every time we made a significant change.

This contractor is almost never here. I've had to direct (because I've happened to be around) much of the work, when decisions had to be made on the fly...and a lot more had to be made on the fly because this GC's plans weren't very thorough. When I ask him about when I can expect something to happen, his answer more often than not is "I don't know yet, so and so hasn't called me back." When I sent him the information about the P trap needed to match the vessel sink (on an open bottom vanity), alll he did was pass it on to the plumber and ask him to call me. Of course, said plumber hasn't. Shouldn't the GC be responsible for making sure it is ordered promptly and correctly? These are just tiny examples....there's a huge list of similar issues.

I"ve asked and asked for change orders and prices and after a month, I finally got a list where everything for each trade is lumped together, so I can't tell how much I'm being charged for running a 220 volt line or for installing an optional additional electrical outlet. And I get to listen to a running litany of complaints from ALL the subcontractors who feel that he isn't communicating well with them, doesn't schedule well and is nickel and dimeing them.

The house has been covered in dust for nearly 4 months now. On demolition day, the crew didn't cover ANYTHING or install a barrier between the kitchen and the rest of the house.

In short, I feel like I'm paying him for nothing and the job's going slowly at that.

What should I say to him? I really haven't the option of firing him and starting over...we're too far into the project and it would lose me the ONE good deal he arranged for the custom cabinets.

Oy.....

Comments (2)