SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flhomeowner

Help Please - Paying for a GC Consultation Fee????

flhomeowner
17 years ago

Hi all,

I have been postin here over the past few months regarding a small bedroom/bath addition for our home.

As mentioned, we are looking at the possibility of subbing out the work ourselves and having a GC pull the permit and handle the scheduling and inspections. We have been back and forth with a GC, who will also do the concrete work and he is charging $2800 for the consult fee....

The only thing is he wants the whole $2800 up front. He is saying that we can fire him at any time and he needs to be protected. Apparently, he is saying that 'consultations' do not use the same payment schedule as other trades. I offered '1/2 now 1/2 later' but he would not accept that for the consult fee. He said the concrete work would be fine for the payment schedule, since that would be a seperate job.

After going back and forther, he offered 1/2 now and 1/2 after the permit is pulled. And Yes, we would have a contract with them.

I haven't gotten all the pricing such as Electric, Drywall, and Roofing back yet, but it looks like we will be saving about 20% by subbing it out ourselves.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Please post your comments or questions ASAP as we are looking to decide soon.

Comments (14)