SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsend1231

Talk to me...Head is swimming re: kitchen island/cabinets/counters

Charla
4 years ago

hey there. I have been scouring Houzz for a year and now it's time to firm things up. We're renovating an OLD home (1829). I want a 'white' kitchen (perimeter is SW Alabaster), with a wood island to warm the space. For the life of me, I cannot find an all-wood island (base & counter-top) with white cabinets for inspiration...The island is going to be Hickory. Yes, I was concerned, but I saw the cabinet maker & the wood he chose. It's clear, with no knots and little to no stripes. With the stain, it'll be beautiful. But I don't want a white or 'busy' patterned counter-top on the island. I think I kind of want it to just 'blend' in - especially because a support beam is at the end of the island - which will be wrapped with the hickory. Cabinet maker FROWNED when I said I wanted a wood counter-top on the island because of the sink (the only sink in the kitchen).

Are the white cabinets/all wood island not enough contrast to where I "need" a light counter on the island? (Which is all I'm seeing on houzz...It just looks cold to me).

AND THEN, the perimeter counter-tops...Isn't there a rule: 2 different cabinet finishes allows for 1 counter-top finish, as opposed to 2 cabinet finishes & 2 different counter-tops? Would the 2 & 2 be too much?

Wondering your thoughts...It's an old home, but I tend to lean more traditional/transitional. ANY input would be appreciated. THANK YOU

Comments (11)