SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Small gaps in new hardwood floor

girl_wonder
4 years ago

Just had 3“ wide white oak installed in my whole-house remodel (1940 bungalow). In most spots the boards are tight, but in a few places in some rooms, there appear to be small gaps. Should I be concerned?

Backstory/prep:

The subfloor is a mix—in the front of the house, it’s the original subfloor and had moisture content of about 14% (the few repairs needed to support that original subfloor were done from beneath using old wood with low moisture content.) The back of the house (new construction and rooms that needed new subfloors) were given time to dry out. We ran the heater at 65-70 for almost 2 weeks. We ran a dehumidifier for a few days. The New subfloor had moisture readings at approx 17% (a few spots 19%) but the combo of the dehumidifer + heater brought it down to around 15%. Wood flooring had been acclimated in the house for 2-3 weeks.

The hardwood floor guy recommends waiting 3-4 weeks before finishing so the wood can acclimate more. He says having the heater running now will draw the extra moisture from the subfloor into the wood. This is No Calif, so a lower humidity climate. No A/C needed ever. In winter, we don’t run the furnace much—usually just first thing in the morning to take off the chill. (Plus I just invested in all new insulation)

Any thoughts? Thanks for you help

Comments (14)