SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowpup0

Buying a house not 100% sure on...

Chelsea
4 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first time making a post and I hope I can gain some advice from you all. This will probably be a bit of a jumbled mess but I'm just so lost!

My husband and I are first time homebuyers(29 & 31 yrs old) and have been looking for about a year and a half now. We live in a very expensive area and what you get for your money isn't that great most of the time. We recently found a house that ticks off all our boxes pretty much, is in the city we like (though not the neighborhood I would love to be in, which I'm not sure we could ever afford anyways), has a lovely big front and back yard, and is close to great parks, grocery stores, etc.

There are some negatives of course, it's right off a road (though not uncommon in the area we live), and the neighbors houses are kinda rundown which makes me hesitate. One of the major issues though is that the house is simply too big for us. We don't plan on having children, rarely have friends/family come to visit, and aren't even sure if we want a dog for that matter! I hate the thought of having all that extra space going unused, not to mention heating and decorating costs for rooms that will barely be touched. Having said that, where we live it is extremely difficult to find that just right size, in budget, in the right area. It's like you either have to have a house too small or too big. To boot, houses don't come on the market here that much, people really hold on to their property or it gets passed down.

I feel like I almost want to pass on this near perfect house to wait for something better that may come along as far as area and size, though it could be a long wait or we get lucky. This house doesn't give me those tingly vibes but not sure if that's something you should always wait for with a house. We truly do like this house but are having a hard time pulling the trigger.

We are very ready for a house although comfortable where we are and not in a rush necessarily. Would you go for this larger house even though it's not really needed or wanted even though it checks off a lot of boxes, and it may be difficult to find that goldilocks size?

Thanks!

For reference the house in question is 2300 sq ft and we ideally would have liked around 1800-2000 sq ft, though probably on the lower end of that.

Comments (19)