SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

Build a new home or buy a GORGEOUS one??

sunnny
14 years ago

When I was in my 20's I thought that at my mid 40's I'd know everything and things would be black or white and NOT grey but I realize that's not the case. SO... here I am asking advice.

Our situation is that we've sold our home in Texas in 4 months and have to be out in 2 weeks so we will be HOMELESS. Not really but we don't know where we will be so sort of homeless. LOL We will rent a small place or if it's for a short time will live in our travel trailer but NOT for long if everyone wants to remain alive.

We are close and happy family of 4. My daughter will be in college next year although living at home and our son is 8 and adopted at age 2 and came with some very sad baggage that we deal with every day. He's sweet and loving but requires a great deal of our time and energy so we need to live as stress free as possible. CALM makes a world of difference in his life.

The OPTIONS: Our first option is a gorgeous 2 year old home built by a builder so he took the time and added the 'extras' a builder often does. The home is simply gorgeous and felt like 'home' immediatly when we walked in. Even the realtor and her DH felt it. The acreage is lovely, too BUT it's on a BUSY high way and has a VERY small kitchen. It's absolutely beautiful though and it feels right. The price has come down significantly and would be a steal at this price... but being on the high way we'd not have a place to walk or ride bikes and I worry about re-sale there. Can I learn to cook in a very small kitchen and live with the traffic and my son not having a place to ride or skate board and be safe??? BIG ISSUES although everything else is SOO good.

OPTION 2: Build a new home on a very nice 5 acre piece of land we found. It's in a great location 10 minutes closer to our jobs and college. It's on a dead end road and is a really nice mix of mostly open pasture and some trees for our 3 horses. The land might be better in the end but would need clearing and some work and the location is better BUT... I'm afriad of the stress of a build and the many decisions and going over budget!!! I worry the stress of the build would send me over the edge. My worries are if I build will I wish I had the nicer home as we wouldn't be able to afford some of the special touches the builder added???

I'm asking for advice and for ways for DH and I to weigh each place and make a beter decision. Maybe things we hadn't thought about. I want to consider re-sale, too although we've been in our current home 18 years and hope this will be a for ever place. For re-sale I think the built home will be worth a great deal more in a better market. PLUS it has a super - awesome - amazing man cave(additional garage/storage loft space seperate from the house)!!! But... again the other land is private, peaceful and quiet and on a dead end road... and I can imagine sitting on my porch enjoying the pasture and horses and breeze.

Any thougths will be paid back in THANK YOU'S!

Sunny

Comments (14)