SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

clarifications on building a home vs. buying one?

chueh
12 years ago

I am all confused now..... I know that things vary with so many factors and conditions, but all of the information I got online gave me an impression that BUILDING a home was much less than buying an existing on, even if I were to hire a general contractor to do everything. Of course, if my husband had the builder's license, I could pretty much just pay for the materials, sub-contractors and labor, which is not in my case.

Now, as I started the very beginning process of getting an architect and a survey done, I think that building a home is much more expensive than just buying one. Of course, in my case, I could not find any plans online that would fit our very different life style than the rest of the world. Thus, an architect is needed. However, even if I wouldn't need an architect, just "cost-to-build" estimate on all the online plan sites already seems much higher than that of buying an existing home, and I am not using the very low market value to compare but actually seller's market.

By NO means, I am complaining about my project, but i am trying to see why the info I got online all seemed to support the idea of building your own homes, in terms of cost, other than so many good reasons to custom build your own homes.

When you buy a home, you just pay for everything, which the builder has already done. The cost-to-build from the floor plans online is only literally the cost for materials and labors alone, not counting the costs of survey, plan, this and that (I am sure that there would be many more coming).... So why some online articles even say that the cost of building a home would only be 1/3 of buying one?

Please shed some light with me.. Thanks

Comments (10)