SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_222847334

Log cabin: building an addition or buying a new one?

HU-222847334
3 years ago

Hi all!
I need your help! We currently live in a log cabin. We like it a lot and while it might use some remodeling it is in an overall good shape. We would like to get a bigger place though. Not much bigger, just maybe one more room, a bigger dining area and an office that is not in the basement like we currently have with no windows. The dilemma is to add an extension to the house or to buy another one, or not to do anything 😂. The cabin us in a very nice town, close to everything, great schools, and you truly get the best if both worlds country life and so close to the city. The location is prime. We want acreage too and we currently have 5 acres. However finding another house has proven to be very challenging. The vast majority of houses with land are either too remote or the schools might not be good for our three kids (private schools just seem too expensive with three little ones). We were truly lucky when we found our current house. Plus we really like its character. We are open to build an addition to it, but builders around this area are not willing to work in a house like a log cabin. We found a company that specializes in log cabins but their wait list just for a consultation is a year long. Plus we are really not sure additions to a cabin or to a house are worth doing. What should we do? Keep looking for another house? I know now the market offers great mortgages, add to the log cabin ? or simply let it be the way it is and live all of us just cozier in a smaller house? 😂 I appreciate your help and advice on this!

Comments (4)