SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dshank14

How can I hide this unseemly HVAC unit in my laundry room?

D Sutton
4 years ago

Almost done with my renovation, and have to figure out what to do with the laundry room. The main air handler and coil unit is positioned in the corner of the room, with the sink right next to it. I had planned to put a sink into the countertop (replacing counters with stone) to the right of the unit, and plumb it thru the wall to the adjacent bathroom, and then build two walls around the unit, one with a door for access, but my plumber just informed me that it's not possible to access the plumbing as he had thought. This is why the junction boxes were relocated on the wall to be closer to the unit.

So the way I see it, I have two options:

Option 1: Remove the sink, and build the walls around the unit as planned. This would mean there's no longer a sink in the laundry, which I've been told is a major negative.

Option 2: Figure out a way to install a removable divider between the sink and the HVAC unit that doesn't look horrible. It would have to be removable in case the unit needs service in the future or include some sort of sliding door.

Either way, I can't really move the sink any farther to the left as it would impede the space for the washer and dryer.

I would really appreciate your ideas on how to handle this eyesore as I'm at a loss, and don't know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (28)