SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elsea_gw

HVAC unit leaking

Elsea
10 years ago

Hello,

I am living in the South Louisiana area outside of New Orleans. Our summers are VERY humid. I am a widow and my house if 14 years old (as are the AC units). My units are Carrier. I have a 3200 2 story square foot home with 3 units. Main unit is 3 ton for dining, living kitchen, Second unit is 2 ton for Master suite, Master Bath and Small front bedroom area. Third Unit is upstairs and is 1.5 ton unit. I bought this home 4 years ago and every summer the last 3 years I've had to repair condenser part on each unit. This year I have a serious problem. I hope it's not mold, but the a/c vents on second unit (2 ton master bedroom) are black, and I have moisture creeping down the walls in MB closet and second bedroom closet. I have had TWO a/c companies come out and tell me they can find no leaks. The first company told me I had some ducts closed and opened the dampers and left. The second company (HUGE company) came out and told me he could find no leaks and recommended a whole new system. Dual 5 ton Lennox with all new furnaces and outside unit and ductwork. He took pictures of the mildew and left. We set up an appointment to do a heat load.

A gentleman came out and spent 4 hours in my home checking ductwork, insulation and calculations in square footage and told me that my insulation is above grade level. I have TOO many returns he says which is causing the extra moisture level as the a/c is now constantly running and my electric bill has been $600.00 over the summer this year. He says he wants to install a new Lennox 5 ton dual zone, close off the two bedroom returns and put a huge return in the hallway. All for only $15,000.00 after rebates!!!

I can't afford that, and I looked online at prices for Trane's and Lennox and found that 5 ton's shouldn't be that expensive. I really would love some direction and advice if possible. I really just want the moisture in the walls to cease. He told me to cut out 12x12 cardboard squares and put them in the returns in the MB and 2B on first floor to control the moisture. It has helped somewhat but it's not a fix. I googled whole home dehumidifiers and I am wondering if that is what I need?

I am nervous about calling anyone else out before I know what I need. I know this is a rambling, jumbled post but I hope it makes sense to someone? My children and I cannot even sleep in our rooms until I get it fixed because I'm afraid they are being exposed to mold.

Comments (5)