SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Please Share Some Log Splitter Maintenance Tips!

loger_gw
4 years ago

I know we are missing some Good Winter Related Service Tips. I am still held to Restrictions but Maintaining in my limits. I have split most of my wood that needed splitting. I call it Rolling and Flipping until the wood is split down to my 35 LB lifting limit that I thought would be raised. It might not be raised due to other concern I am missing at this point. Moving on! My log Splitter is not on a Scheduled Maintenance program, since It was given to me. Leaks and checking Hydraulic oil has dictated two cylinder repairs one year apart that I hope not to see again. The friend that gave me his start of the splitter did not have guides to guide the Cylinder's Rod.

From the two bills I got busy adding guides and Brass for wear vs steel to steel guiding the piston to stay on line. This has worked for years now. Plus I added an inline oil filter and initially checked oil for signs of metal from wear. Plus, I always look for any sign of a leak and Hope all is good as long as I continue burning wood. My goal is to limit my large wood to 12”-16” Dia to be split much smaller (if the large wood is my only choice of wood being cleared. Without the Splitter and wood behind “Trimmers” I doubt I would be burning 24/7 since my 02 retirement.

Many Trimmers and Home Owners invite you to take the wood cut to length due to the savings to them. Lazy Me! I try not to move my splitter since the tires have dry Rotted. Plus, dictating the next wheels to be Steel or Aluminum vs any rubber. To move the splitter to a load vs wood to a splitter. Splitting on the Half “Only For Friend”, has been good visits and BBQ at times…

Last , Any “Low Cost” suggestions on “Electric Pull Starts” for “Two Cycles” w/o a Factory Option?

Comments (11)