SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Should a newly rebuilt Log Splitter's hydraulic cylinder leak

loger_gw
12 years ago

Should a newly rebuilt Log Splitter's hydraulic cylinder leak a little initially? Will occasionally stalling the rod cause a good seal to leak?

I had the cylinder rebuilt at the end of last year's firewood harvest. They honed the cylinder, polished the rod, added new seals and I watched the pressure test (w/o noticing the psi). With no challenging wood to split I possibly split 2-3 12" logs every 2-3 months vs letting it sit (w/o any signs of a leak). Yesterday we split some large challenging oak logs and they all split slow but fine due to their age and seasoning cracks (that we worked). After about an hour of constant use I notice the rod's seal area had lost about 2 tablespoons of oil. Before we finished about 2 hours later, I basically noticed no leak after a good cleaning. I called the re-builder and notified him and will send him Pics of the leak while he checks the receipt. This was before I noticed that it basically stopped.

Please share some Comments And Opinions. I saw a 4 year warranty online but not on my receipt and specifics.

Thanks In Advance! loger

Comments (28)