SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

log splitter's ram/cylinder's seal leaked

loger_gw
13 years ago

My log splitter's ram/cylinder's seal leaked a little oil for the first time today while trying to split some serious dry and seasoned logs. I'll have to do some disassembling and etc to try to find specs on the ram/cylinder. The splitter was given to me and it has been modified and was the first time I have seen it back-off a 2-3' log or leak at the cylinder's piston seal. My plans were to take off outside layers if needed (from my manual log splitting days) but I had split these size red and live oak logs before not dry vs green.

Questions:

1. Is it common for a ram/cylinder's seal to leak from over-loads/stalking in splitting in checking cracks?

2. Can most seals be compressed/tightened to stop leaks (as this was little and stopped at times)?

3. Is it a danger of a seal blowing out and causing danger?

4. Should the fluid be changed due to moisture signs in the tank? Can moisture cause stalling/leaking?

5. When the Ram stalls, is it time to call off splitting vs giving it 2-3 more tries in different positions?

6. What are signs to stop trying to split vs stalling? I feel I see my 4 X 4 X 1/4" thick main beam flex?

Thanks In Advance For Comments And Help! logger

Comments (8)