What brand of tuna do you buy? Where does it come from?

grapefruit1_ar

I really want to keep some canned tuna on hand but I prefer it to come from someplace other than China, Thailand, etc. What do you do?

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

In our pantry at the moment we have Trader Joe's Yellowfin in olive oil (Indonesia) and white Albacore in water (Colombia).

Save     Thanked by grapefruit1_ar
Olychick

This is really pricey, but is unbelievably good. Fish caught in Oregon - sustainably fished:

4 Likes Save     Thanked by grapefruit1_ar
Elmer J Fudd

Wild Planet albacore. The cans say caught near New Zealand and processed in Vietnam.

It's really good, like canned tuna used to be. There's no water in the cans at all, only a small amount of juice from the fish. The cans say "Please Don't Drain".

If you want to avoid Asian sources, look for tuna of European origin available. Be careful what species of fish you buy, not all will have tastes you find familiar or pleasing.

1 Like Save     Thanked by grapefruit1_ar
bpath reads banned books too

We order Oregon’s Choice from Oregon. It isn’t cheap, but it is so worth it! Sometimes they run a sale. They also have salmon sometimes, which is really good, and crab.

ETA, it seems similar to Olychick’s tuna.

grapefruit1_ar

Thank you all very much. I have never heard of these brands but will go online and check them out. We do not have any " out of the ordinary " options available locally.

Save    
C Marlin

My DH eats the Wild Planet and 365 Albacore. The labeling looks identical, they're from Whole Foods.

matthias_lang

I haven't bought any tuna since 2006 when I gave up my Costco membership. But I used to buy their canned tuna, and liked it very much. They were complete tuna "steaks".

dedtired

Bumblebee brand. Can says a product of Mauritius. It’s okay, not great. I’ll have to try the fancy ones. Really haven’t liked anything I bought from Whole Foods.

morz8

I am choosy about my tuna. I prefer raw packed and can it myself. With the exception of a few brands like Olychicks, most commercial tuna is cooked whole (for ease of handling), broken apart and packed into cans and cooked again in the canning process. Wild Planet is another that is raw packed so cooked only once. It's also line caught.

I eat only line caught tuna ...that's a personal preference not a taste issue, no wasting or harming incidental fish caught up in nets including dolphins/porpoise.

We will usually buy tuna fresh from the boat, filleted, can it here. I haven't had a chance to catch up to our fav fisherman the last couple of years and am out of home canned. He's at the dock without much notice only a day or two a year and we've been gone and unable to meet with him. I did buy a 4 pack of the Wild Planet line caught tuna at Costco to have on hand but haven't used it yet.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by grapefruit1_ar
shirl36

I use the three following brands....which ever I can find...sometimes have to order online from Walmart or Amazon.

Such huge pic....can’t seem to make smaller. Any advice how to?

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Italian tuna & Wild Planet. Will order some of the Oregon tuna. Tuna is a staple of mine.

chipotle

I buy Tonnino and Raincoast at Walmart. Raincoast is a product of Canada. Tonnino is from Costa Rica.

https://tonnino.com/home/?cli_action=1582041768.36

ritaweeda

We've recently been buying Genova Yellowfin tuna in olive oil. The taste is outstanding. Haven't tried the albacore yet. It's supposedly fished in the central Western Pacific area.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by grapefruit1_ar
Annie Deighnaugh

I buy skip jack at trader joe's:

Between fear of consuming too much mercury and sustainability concerns, shopping for canned tuna has become a health minefield. Thankfully, Trader Joe’s makes it simple with their pole-caught skipjack tuna. This type of tuna, which was rated a "Best Choice" by Seafood Watch, checks both boxes. The term "pole-caught" means that it was caught by hook and line—meaning other fish weren't accidentally caught (and wasted) in a fishing net. And according to the Natural Resources Defense Council, the skipjack variety contains moderate levels of mercury, far less than canned albacore (solid white), ahi, or bigeye. Plus, it's a great deal at just $1.49 per can. Make a satisfying, balanced salad by tossing it with veggies and a light dressing.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Agree with ritaweeda, Genova brand is very nicely flavored tuna and it is wild caught.

I have seen the Wild Planet brand at Costco, but did not know if it was good. Now that several of you have recommended it, I have put that on my Costco shopping list. Thank you.

Elmer J Fudd

I've tried the TJ skipjack product and I personally don't care for the flavor. For those who do, it's an economical substitute for tuna. Skipjack isn't a true tuna but is rather a cousin, not a near cousin at that. That's why it's less expensive.

Larger fish contain more mercury because they live longer and eat more fish down the food chain. From what I've read, tuna should be eaten no more frequently than once every week or 10 days, less frequently for children, and should be avoided by pregnant women. For those who love sashimi as I do, remember that maguro and other sashimi types of tuna origin need to be considered along with canned tuna when limiting tuna consumption.

DawnInCal

Wild Planet from Costco. Like others, I am trying to buy products that are ethically produced and environmentally friendly.

grapefruit1_ar

Wow, who knew that there are so many options? Living in small-town, rural America means that these brands are not readily available here. I am very happy to learn of online shopping options. I travel to a city twice a month (4.5 hours away), so I will be able to checkout Trader Joe's for sure and possibly a Costco. I will definitely not be able to buy any from a fisherman! How cool for those that can!

I greatly appreciate all of the help! Thank you.

Save    
tigereye

Grapefruit, I like the Wild Planet brand. It is available from Walmart, so you could just order it. I think it is $35 total and delivery is free. I usually pick mine up from Publix, but that is because I am there about every day or so.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&facet=retailer%3AWalmart.com&query=wild+planet+tuna

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 8 Things to Learn From Open Houses (Whether or Not You’re Buying)
You can gather ideas, get a handle on the market, find an agent and more
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: A Toronto Home Comes Back From the Brink
Not even squatters deterred an interior designer from turning an abandoned 4-bedroom into a chic, unique home
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Where to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story