SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Tortillas - where do yours come from - do you make your own?

Lars
16 years ago

Living in Los Angeles, I always assumed that any tortillas I bought were made locally, but when I examined the packages, I found that the ones I bought most recently were from Irving, Texas - a suburb of Dallas! Irving, as I remember it, is an extremely Anglo/White city - not Hispanic at all. So why are my tortillas coming from there? I would not object if they were coming from El Paso or San Antonio (but what's the point), but Irving just seems wrong. However, I will say that the whole grain Mission tortillas are exceptionally good and not at all traditionally Mexican. So I checked on the last package of corn tortillas I bought - Guerrero brand - and I found out that they came from Irving also (although that is not at all obvious from their website, which I got from the package)!

In Mexico, I always bought tortillas (which were always corn) from a tortilleria on the street, and they were always fresh and often still warm. I can easily buy fresh masa at the local Cuban market (El Camaguey), but it appears that the tortillas I am getting are imported from Texas. I know they make great tortillas in Texas, but it seems to me that there should be local tortillerias making them here as well.

I have masa in the freezer that I might be defrosting soon.

Lars

Comments (23)