Frosting with less butter and sugar

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

Is this a thing?

I am in the processing of making a chocolate cake (9 x 13) and need to find something to finish it with. I can always use powdered sugar (I have the organic kind) when I serve it but I was wondering if you have any ideas for a topping that does not use a cup of sugar and/or a cup of butter!

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Diet frosting is disgusting. Half veg shortening half butter holds up better than all butter and still tastes okay (melts slower) but I don't think that's what you meant.

Make a bundt cake. The whole point of that is that it looks pretty naked. Dust with a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar, or drizzle a little icing made from the same if you just can't do naked. You can do sheet cake bundt style and go nekkid, dust or drizzle. Make it fancy with a stencil (or lace paper doily) to make the powdered sugar dusting pretty, and looking intentionally sparse. Make sure the cake is steamed out cool first so the sugar doesn't melt.

Save    
party_music50

White Mountain frosting uses no fat, but does use 1/2 c sugar and 1/4 cup corn syrup.... but it's not icky sweet and goes great with chocolate cake.

2 Likes Save    
lindac92

A favorite frosting of mine is very simple!....melt a cup of semi sweet, or dark, chocolate chips over hot water.....allow to cool a bit and stir in half a cup of sour cream....
It's not very sweet and actually tastes very "chocolat-ey" especially if you use dark chocolate which I love!

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Not sure exactly what it would taste like, but what if you mix baking cocoa and powdered sugar together and sift a very thin layer over a doily?

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

just mix some caramel sauce and a can of condensed milk [warm, let cool and dump] .... tastes better than powdered sugar ... not sugar free by a long shot ... but it's tasty.

or just use real whipped cream ....

Save    
Sooz

How about whipped ganache? Lots of recipes on line, cream and chocolate & maybe a pinch of salt. If I get a chance later, I'll post a couple of photos.

Save    
Islay Corbel

I was going to suggest what Lindac and Sooz suggested. A little goes a long way and it tastes good!

Save    
Sooz

Photos--the cupcake has whipped ganache, the 9 x 12 cake has poured ganache with whipped ganache "flowers" with cherry centers, and the double layer round cake has whipped chocolate ganache & used a decorator tip for the perimeter, with raspberry-white chocolate ganache on the top under the fresh raspberries.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I really really like the look of the raspberry-white chocolate ganache on the top under the fresh raspberries. Looks very appealing. Bet it tastes wonderful as well.

you could do Linda's frosting with plain yogurt as well ...

Save    
Sooz

Thanks, bragu! It was quite delicious!!

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

Thanks all. This is awful but my guests came earlier than I thought they would so we already polished off half the cake with no frosting. Tonight it will be served again with vanilla ice cream. I am going to try the cake again soon using the choco chip sour cream frosting. Sounds simple and good.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

There's actually no law that says a cake HAS to have frosting. Sometimes I make one and we just eat it plain. The flavor of the cake doesn't get list under a bunch of sweet goo.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

I wanted to post this Choco Cake recipe since it was exceptionally good even without frosting. I also liked the trick to use less baking soda so the cake doesn't sink in the middle. Mine didn't! I cut back on the sugar by 25% and I could tell it wasn't as sweet as it was supposed to be but it was sweet enough for the four people who devoured it!

http://laurassweetspot.com/beattys-chocolate-cake/

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Whipped cream is my fave cake topping as well, lightly sweetened with powdered sugar or honey.

Sometimes I put a layer of jam or chocolate glaze underneath.

Save    
Gargamel

Does the icing made with yogurt or sour cream feel, in your mouth, like yogurt or sour cream...a bit slippery? ...or does it feel denser like a soft icing

Save    
lindac92

Never done it with yogurt......the frosting, when it cools and the melted chocolate hardens feels very like a butter cream.

Save    
Gargamel

thanks Lindac!

Save    
Gargamel

I’ll bet that chocolate icing tastes great on brownies -yum

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing 9 Kitchen Organizing Tips to Help You Waste Less Food
Follow these simple steps to maximize your budget and turn your good intentions into good habits
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Great Design Plant: Hibiscus Syriacus ‘Sugar Tip’
As pretty as a party dress, ‘Sugar Tip’ has layers of pink that catch the eyes of butterflies
Full Story
Inspiring Gardens Landscape Tour: Two Acres of Rural Hillside in Maine
An orchard of crab apples, a grove of sugar maples, even a hayfield ... pastoral landscape beauty doesn't get more idyllic than this
Full Story