SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #26 - Peanut Butter

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #26---------Peanut Butter!!!
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 11:30

Tracey_Oh has picked ******Peanut Butter****** for our new focus ingredient! Yay!!!

Fun ingredient, that can be used so many ways.

In addition to cooking and baking recipes that call for peanut butter, I have a question for all:

What makes the perfect peanut butter sandwich for you?

Mine is, fresh white bread, peanut butter on one slice of bread and on the other slice, you have to first butter the bread then spread with black raspberry jam. Place the peanut butter side face down over the jam, and cut into quarters. Heaven!!!!

This thread will run through May 2 2010.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #25 ------- Cream Cheese
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #26---------Peanut Butter!!!

Posted by sherrmann (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 12:11

Gosh, the only recipe I have that uses peanut butter is for Peanut Butter Cookies! I put it under jam and on toast and bananas and apples all the time, but don't use it in "recipes." I can't wait to see what we get here!

The sandwich: Soft whole wheat bread, crunchy natural PB, cold grape jam, open face. MMMMMMmmmmmm

Or Grilled: Same as above but instead of jam, banana slices and drizzled honey, topped with a second slice of bread, buttered and grilled. Oh, gosh......
Sherry

o

Posted by katefisher (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 12:41

I really one 'use' peanut butter to fill up my stomach:) And it is great for that purpose. Oh what is it about peanut butter? SO good.

A sandwich would have to be made on large, fresh, fat slices of whole wheat bread with bananas and honey. Jam not needed.

Great, now I'm hungry:) I'll be thinking about pb all day long.

Kate

o

Posted by momj47 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 12:49

I love chicken satay with peanut sauce, though I've never made it. Some things are just better (and less messy) eaten out.

o

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 12:57

I make a peanut sauce for chicken satay. No real "recipe" but here's what I use...

Peanut Dipping Sauce (amounts are approximate):
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon red curry paste
1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 green Onion, thinly sliced for garnish on top of the sauce

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. I warm the sauce in the microwave...it may thicken a bit. If it's too thick, add more chicken broth.

/tricia

o

Posted by nancylouise (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 12:58

This will be my first attempt at the cookalong. Hope it is a good one! This peanut sauce is the one we use religiously for our chicken satay. But people have dipped their marinated beef and lamb into it also. We found it in one of our BBQ sauce books years ago.

Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
3 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chunky or smooth peanut butter(we use Skippy)
3 TBSP sugar
3/4 to 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 TBSP fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In large skillet put in oil over medium heat. Add onion,ginger,garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute until onions are tender(around 10 minutes). Stir in peanut butter, sugar, 3/4 cup of coconut milk, soy sauce, and lime juice. Cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat, stir in cilantro and serve warm or at room temp. If the sauce is too thick you can add more coconut milk to thin it out. Makes a bit more then 2 cups of sauce. Enjoy! NancyLouise

o

Posted by malna (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 13:23

I only buy one or two jars of peanut butter a year - but it's always for this recipe (thanks, Sands! These are always a hit.)

Sands Picnic Peanut Noodles

1c chix broth
3 Tbsp Fresh grated ginger root
3 oz soy sauce [almost a 1/4 c]
1/2 c peanut butter
5 TBSP [1/4 c] honey
**btw if you measure - by now I just eye - use some non-stick spray in your measuring cup for both the PB and the honey, makes it much easier :)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cloves or 2 tsp minced garlic

1 lb noodles [some like Udon I like barilla spaghetti rigatti it has furrows lengthwise on the noodle really grabs the sauce]

1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 c chopped honey roasted peanuts

heat the broth add the other goodies except the last three, heat add stir till well blended. Cook the noodles toss with the sauce, add half the honey peanuts and half the green onion [I usually use the white part and save the green rings for garnish]. Chill several hours or overnight

Next day or later toss the noodles to separate then top with the last of the green onion and the remaining honey peanuts as garnish.

I've been adjusting this recipe for yrs - it's sooo hard to figure out what a sweet/savory sauce [when hot] will develop into when it cools so if you taste the sauce when it's hot and it tastes a little tangalicious don't worry it cools and develops nicely :)

o

Posted by althetrainer (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 14:08

Oooo that's one of my favorite "ingredients" Can't wait to see more recipes. Yummy!

Al

o

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 14:36

I have heard that if you find yourself with a yen for hummus and are out of tahini you can sub peantu butter....but I've not reied it.
And my daughter used to make the toddlers, peanutbutter noodles...she used raman noodles, with only half the flavor packet and a very generous amount of peanut butter....2 heaping tablespoons for one packet. Kids slurped it down and it was not as junk foodish as chef boyardee out of a can!

Some where I have a recipe for peanut butter pie....and of course Williamsburg peanut soup
Linda C

o

Posted by dirtgirl07 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 17:25

Love peanut butter!! I eat the stuff right out of the jar and fondly remember the old peanut butter and honey sandwiches served at school.

Here is my all time favorite candy to make once a year at the holidays. Sorry about the vague measurements, it's one of those passed down without them.

Peanut butter roll candy

start with these amounts:
1 box confectioners sugar
1 stick of butter softened
peanut butter

Mix the butter and confectioners sugar to the point where it is only slightly tacky* and has enough body to pat out in a rectangle that's about 1/4 inch thick. Pat it out on a piece of wax paper (something that will help it roll). Patting it out by hand is better than a rolling pin.

Spread peanut butter (I use creamy) across the entire surface at about 1/4 thickness too.

Starting with the long side, roll up as tightly as possible with the help of the wax paper. Then wrap the roll in the wax paper and put in the refrigerator.

When it has chilled enough for the butter in the conf. sugar to stiffen, unwrap and slice however much you want. Rewrap and store in the refrigerator.

The peanut butter in this keeps it from being too sweet but it's still very rich and just the right combination of flavors!

*the butter and confectioners sugar mix needs to be just enough of a combination that it's not 'shaggy' but not too buttery either. You just have to keep patting it with your fingers from time to time to see when it reaches that workable texture.

Beth

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 17:44

PEANUT BUTTER TEXAS SHEET CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (may use creamy if you prefer)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

GLAZE:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 Tblsp. butter or margarine
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter (may use creamy if you prefer)
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil; stir in peanut butter and oil until blended. Add to dry ingredients; mix well. Combine eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; add to peanut butter mixture. Mix well.
Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° F. 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, combine sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the peanut butter, marshmallows and vanilla until marshmallows are melted. Spoon over warm cake and carefully spread over the top. Cool completely.

Recipe from Paula Anderson at Mimi’s Cyber-Kitchen.

**My notes: I made this in a 9 x 13 pan and baked it for 35 minutes. Oh my! This is DIVINE!

o

Posted by georgysmom (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 19:02

Oh darn. I was going to offer chicken satay. Right now, that's all I can think of other than peanut butter cookies and my favorite peanut butter sandwich is peanut butter and banana on cheap white bread.

o

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 19:07

No recipe, but peanut butter on brown bread topped with crispy bacon is soooooooo yummy!

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 19:27

Mmmm, love peanut butter. I eat it every day at work for breakfast, on a high fiber/whole grain English Muffin or on homemade toast. Sometimes just on a spoon, which my Grandma always called a "peanut butter sucker".

Like Shermann, I like peanut butter and jelly grilled. It has to be honey wheat bread, Koeze's Cream Nut peanut butter and whatever homemade jam or preserves I'm fixated on at the moment, usually grape, strawberry or cherry to go with peanut butter.

Peanut butter and chocolate is a great combination, and I make this Buckeye Cake for dessert, but it's rich, you only need a sliver. It's straight from the Nestle website:

Photobucket

Buckeye Cake

CAKE
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 packets (1 oz. each) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® CHOCO BAKE® Pre-Melted Unsweetened Chocolate Flavor
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
PEANUT BUTTER LAYER
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup powdered sugar
GANACHE
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Morsels
Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease 9-inch-round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; grease.

FOR CAKE:
COMBINE eggs and sugar in large bowl. Stir in flour, melted butter, Choco Bake, vanilla extract and salt until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.

BAKE for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of cake; cool for an additional 10 minutes. Invert cake onto serving platter. Remove pan and parchment; cool completely.

FOR PEANUT BUTTER LAYER:
BEAT peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in medium mixer bowl until combined. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Spread mixture on cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

FOR GANACHE:
HEAT cream in small saucepan to boiling; remove from heat. Add semi-sweet morsels; let stand 5 minutes. Stir; refrigerate for 30 minutes or until mixture is spreadable. Spread chocolate on top and sides of cake.

MELT peanut butter & milk chocolate morsels in resealable plastic bag on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 30 seconds. Knead bag to mix. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals until melted. Cut a small hole from corner of bag; squeeze to drizzle over cake. Store in refrigerator. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.

Another version of peanut butter and chocolate are these brownies, also a hit with my family. This is a Betty Crocker recipe:

Photobucket

Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies

Brownie Base
1 box (1 lb 6.5 oz) Betty Crocker® Original Supreme brownie mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box

Filling
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk

Topping
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray or shortening. (For easier cutting, line pan with foil, then grease foil on bottom only of pan. I do this all the time when I make brownies and bars)
In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, pouch of chocolate syrup, water, oil and eggs until well blended. Spread in pan. Bake 28 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

In medium bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over brownie base.

In small microwavable bowl, microwave topping ingredients uncovered on High 30 to 60 seconds; stir until smooth. Cool 10 minutes; spread over filling. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until set. For brownies, cut into 9 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator. (I take it out or the fridge about 15 minutes before serving. This allows the chocolate on top to soften a little)

Now, I'll admit that I didn't use a boxed brownie mix, I used Sherry's brownie recipe, just because I like it. Ann T's Decadent Brownies would make a great brownie layer too!

Annie

o

Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 21:57

Another fan of PB here. I love the dipping sauces and noodle salad recipes....all I have to offer is a couple of yummy desserts. I have to make that pie Annie.

Scotcharoo's

6 cups rice krispie cereal
1 cup karo syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 12 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 12 oz. bag butterscotch chips

Bring syrup and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add peanut butter. Stir in cereal. Pour mixture into a buttered 9 x 13 in pan. Melt chocolate and butterscoth chips and spread over the bars and let them cool.

Image Hosting by

Another fave from Dishesdone.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cake

Image Hosting by

Posted by dishesdone (My Page) on Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 21:26

This was also in this month's Chocolatier magazine and looked sinful!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cake with Frozen Milk

Frozen Milk:
3 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate cake:
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons alkalized cocoa powder (preferably Valrhona), sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water

Ganache:
1 pound milk chocolate (preferably Valrhona Jivara or Guittard)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Dacquoise layer:
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped

Peanut butter crunch:
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup Skippy creamy peanut butter
3 ounces milk chocolate (preferably Valrhona Jivara or Guittard)
1 cup Rice Krispies

Make the Frozen Milk: Combine all ingredients except vanilla extract. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and set bowl in large bowl filled one-third of way with ice water. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until chilled, about 20 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Process in ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions. (Frozen Milk is best when served the same day.)

Make chocolate cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
Spray 9" x 13" pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients except water; pour into dry ingredients. Stir until well combined. Add boiling water and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake springs back when touched in middle, about 30-40 minutes. Cool cake in pan set on wire rack for 20 minutes. Invert cake onto rack and cool completely.

Make ganache: Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler. In small saucepan, bring cream to a gentle boil and gradually whisk into melted chocolate. Set aside.

Make dacquoise: Position rack in the center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Using 13" x 9" baking pan as a guide, trace a rectangle onto a piece of parchment paper. Turn paper over and place on a large baking sheet.

Combine sliced almonds and confectioners' sugar in food processor and process until finely ground. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites on medium speed to soft peaks, gradually adding granulated sugar while whipping. Once stiff and shiny, fold in almond flour mixture. Spread into 9" x 13" rectangle on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle top with chopped peanuts and bake until browned, 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool on wire rack.

Make peanut butter crunch: In medium bowl, combine butter, peanut butter and chocolate. Place bowl over saucepan filled one-third of way with simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is
smooth. Stir in Rice Krispies. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over dacquoise. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.

Using a serrated knife, cut chocolate cake in half horizontally for form 2 layers. Spread one-third of ganache on top of bottom half. Remove dacquoise from freezer and peel off parchment paper. Place dacquoise, peanut butter crunch-side up, on top of ganache covered cake; gently press to remove any air pockets. Spread half of remaining ganache over peanut butter crunch. Place second half of cake on top. Refrigerate until ganache is set, about 1 hour.

Using serrated knife, carefully trim off rough edges of cake. Rewarm remaining ganache over a pot of simmering water, and spread over top of cake. Serve a square of cake with a scoop of frozen milk.

Recipe by Nancy Olson, Peacock Alley, Waldorf-Astoria, NYC from Chocolatier Magazine March 2006

Note: I served store bought ice cream so I can't vouch for the frozen milk.

David

o

Posted by virginia7074 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 22:06

I'm glad I already brushed & flossed my teeth, or I'd be out in the kitchen with my mitts in the peanut butter jar. I think I know what kind of birthday cake I want this year!

I love s'mores made with a schmear of peanut butter on the graham cracker. Also, my Mom used to make a variation of Waldorf salad with - and it sounds gross, but it's really good - apples, bananas and celery with a sweetened peanut butter/mayo dressing.

o

Posted by aliceinmd (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 22:07

Peanut butter is a great choice for a Cookalong. I can eat it by the spoonful, or in a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but this is one of our favorite unusual recipes from, gosh, I just realized -- 40 years ago!

PEANUT BUTTER CURRY CHICKEN WINGS

1/4 cup margarine
18 chicken wings with tips removed, skinned if desired
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup milk
6 Tablespoons cornmeal
6 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13" pan or rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Put margarine in foil-lined baking sheet and melt in the oven.
Blend peanut butter and milk in blender; pour into shallow dish.
Combine remaining ingredients in another shallow dish.
Dip chicken wings in peanut butter mixture then in flour mixture. Lay in pan and bake 30 minutes.

From Family Circle magazine, April 1970, in an article by Peg Bracken

This is messy to make, but worth the effort. Even curry-haters like it, and I hope you do, too.

o

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 22:32

Here is a very good PB recipe.

Peanut Butter Fudge
2 sticks margarine or butter
4 cups sugar
1 1/2 ounces light corn syrup and enough evaporated milk to make 1 cup
1 18-ounce jar peanut butter
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow crème
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Instructions
Melt margarine in medium saucepan. Add sugar, syrup, and milk. Bring to a boil and cook five minutes. Remove from stove. Add peanut butter, marshmallow crème, vanilla, and pecans, if desired. Pour into greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Cool and cut in squares.

Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Put peanut butter and marshmallow crème into a separate bowl before starting, making it easier to add all at one time after sugar is cooked. Try lining the prepared pan(s) with overlapping wax paper greased on both sides. The fudge will come out easier. Just peel off the paper and cut. This recipe makes enough fudge to split between two pans since not everyone likes nuts. Refrigerate fudge.

o

Posted by plllog (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 0:56

What makes the perfect peanut butter sandwich for you?

Um...not being peanut butter? I wouldn't say anything, but I just had a not-peanut-butter sandwich today. Organic almond butter with (sparsely) Tiptree Little Scarlet jam, open face on Trader Joe's whole wheat Tuscan pane. Very yummy. Can't swallow PBJ.

Best peanut butter ever is the Polynesian peanut butter at Trader Vic's.

I don't know if this recipe is for the peanut butter, or if it's a sauce for another dish. It's published online in a newsletter for the Emeryville restaurant.

TRADER VIC’S PEANUT
SAUCE
14 OZ. PEANUT BUTTER
14 OZ. COCONUT CREAM
3 OZ. LEMON JUICE
4 OZ. SOY SAUCE
1 OZ. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
2 DASHES TABASCO SAUCE
1 TSP. SALT

Combined all ingredients
except peanut butter; wisk in
kitchen mixer then slowly
add peanut butter. The sauce
should hold its form and not
be broken.

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 8:37

It'll be interesting to see what everyone posts here. Not a huge fan of PB, I can take it or leave it. I tend to steer clear of baked goods with peanut butter, but I do occasionally lik some on a toasted English Muffin.

At our cafeteria at work they serve a Thai Peanut Chicken dish that I like, but have never found a recipe for. Maybe one of those satay sauces would work?

Linda

o

Posted by yasou (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 9:33

Here's a recipe for Peanut Butter Frosting from Ina Garten. It's soooooo good on chocolate cupcakes!!

Peanut Butter Icing:

1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

Oly

o

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 10:36

All the other Cookalongs

Here is a link that might be useful: All the other Cookalongs
o
Cookalong #26--------Peanut Butter!!!!

Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 10:47

We use a LOT of Peanut butter.

Mostly:

Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwiches

Also:

Sands Picnic Noodles (I like to add poached chicken and steamed broccoli and double the sauce)
Peanut Butter Cookies

And I use to make these weekly for the kids when they were little, it came from our preschool snack recipe repertoire, great for a whole class snack.

Peanut Butter Balls

1/2 cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp honey
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk

Optional additions: sesame seeds, wheat germ, raisins, sunflower seeds, chopped dates or other chopped fruit, chocolate chips.

Stir together peanut butter and honey until well mixed. Add dry milk powder and any other ingredients. Mix thoroughly, shape into balls. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator. Makes about 25 balls.

o

Posted by claire_de_luna (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 12:50

OK, the best peanut butter cookie IMHO is the no flour kind. The cookie is pure peanut butter bliss, and super easy. Also, one of the BEST peanut butter desserts for easy and good is Reeses Squares. The best part is there's no baking! Home-made great and makes enough for a crowd. Here are both recipes:

No Flour Peanut Butter Cookies

* 1 cup peanut butter
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 300° for 15-18 minutes or at 350° for 8-12 minutes.
Let cool.

Variation: Add chocolate chips, raisins or even nuts. Use your imagination.

Reeses Squares

* 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 1 lb confectioners' sugar (3 to 3 1/2 cups)
* 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
* 1 cup butter, melted
* 1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips

Combine graham crumbs, sugar and peanut butter and mix well.
Blend in melted butter until well combined.
Press mixture evenly into a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave or in double boiler.
Spread over peanut butter mixture.
Chill until just set and cut into bars.

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 13:11

My favorite tomato soup - Trinity Square Cafe Moroccan Tomato Soup (yup, soup). Its all over the net, so I'm not the only one who likes it. Fun thing to do is serve it to guests and have them guess the secret ingredient, LOL

Trinity Square Cafe Moroccan Tomato Soup

Ingredients

2 tb Olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
5 Cloves garlic, minced
1 cn Tomatoes (28 oz)
1 c Peanut butter
1 ts Cumin
1 tb Hot pepper sauce
2 tb Cayenne
1 tb Chili powder
2 tb White vinegar
1 ts Salt
1 ts Pepper
1 tb Sugar
1/4 c Tomato paste
2 c Water

In a large sauce pan, heat oil and fry onion and garlic until golden brown. Place the tomatoes and their liquid in a bowl, and crush the tomatoes with a potato masher or a spoon, breaking them into small pieces. Add the tomatoes and their liquid to the onions, reduce heat to very low, add peanut butter, and stir until well combined. Add cumin, hot sauce, cayenne, chili, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, tomato paste and water, and stir until well combined. Cook over low heat at a bare simmering for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently. (This soup burns very easily, so keep the heat low and dont allow it to come to a full boil.)

o

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 13:33

We are fond of "ants on log." Celery filled with crunchy peanut butter and studded with raisins or dried cranberries. I love apple slices and peanut butter.

I rarely cook with it but did use it to wing an Asian inspired dressing for a cabbage slaw-type salad. Rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, honey, peanut butter, and sesame oil in amounts until it tasted right. Some cayenne might have been nice, too. And some chopped cilantro but I didn't think of those things at the time.

o

Posted by ritsincooks (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 22:16

Doucanoe, here's a Thai one that you might like. I'm afraid I can't remember where I got it from so can't give credit where credit is due.

Thai Chicken With Peanut Pesto

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup peanut butter
3 cloves garlic
1 piece (1/2-inch) ginger root, chopped
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
2 green onions, thinly sliced

In bowl of food processor or blender, place peanut butter, garlic, ginger root, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and cayenne pepper. Process until finely ground. Place chicken thighs in baking pan and pour peanut pesto over. Bake in 375 degree F. oven about 35 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove to serving platter and sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 8:53

This is not T&T but I'm dying to find the opportunity to try it so I will for this cookalong. It's one of Anna Olsen's recipe and she has never let me down yet.

I can't decide if it's breakfast or dessert!

Peanut Butter and Jam Bread Pudding (Anna Olsen)

Ingredients

* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2/3 cup peanut butter
* 1-3/4 cup milk at room temperature
* 2 egg yolks at room temperature
* 2 whole eggs at room temperature
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 6 cups cubed egg bread
* 2/3 cup raspberry jam or other fruit jam
* Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter and brush pan with half of it. Add peanut butter to remaining melted butter and heat over low heat until fluid. Remove from heat and whisk in milk, then whisk in egg yolks, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Toss mixture with diced bread and let sit 10 minutes. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and dollop jam over bread, pressing in slightly to incorporate just a touch. Sprinkle with Turbinado ( or plain white) sugar. Place pan in a larger dish and fill it with an inch of hot tap water. Bake for about 50 minutes, until golden on top and set. Let pudding sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.

2. Pudding can be served warm or chilled.

o

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 12:12

Ritsins, your crunchy peanut coating sounds similar to the packaged mix sold by A Taste of Thai. I've used it before and enjoyed it, but my daughter tried it recently and said the recipe had changed and wasn't as good. Your homemade recipe sounds better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spicy Peanut Bake
o

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 20:09

Give me crisp celery and a jar of peanut butter and I am set!:)

I have made this recipe of Ina's before and while I thought they were OK, my husband and friends loved them.

Linda mentioned Peanut Soup. I am from VA and peanuts are big here. I always have VA peanuts in my freezer. This is the recipe that I and my friends use the most.

Cream of Peanut Soup

Print 3x5 Recipe Card�" from King's Arms Tavern
Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia

Serves 10-12

Ingredients:
¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
3 tablespoons flour
8 cups Chicken Stock* (or low-salt canned chicken stock)
2 cups smooth peanut butter
1 ¾ cups light cream or half-and-half
Finely chopped salted peanuts, for garnish
Instructions:
In a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, three-five minutes.

Stir in flour and cook two minutes longer.

Pour in the chicken stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes. Pour into a sieve set over a large bowl and strain, pushing hard on the solids to extract as much flavor as possible. Return the liquid to the sauce pan or pot.

Whisk the peanut butter and the cream into the liquid. Warm over low heat, whisking often, for about five minutes. Do not boil.

Serve warm, garnished with the chopped peanuts.

*For Chicken Stock recipe, see "The Colonial Williamsburg Tavern Cookbook," available at

Here is a link that might be useful: Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
o

Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 10:20

dixiedog! I have had, but not made, the Peanut Soup from Williamsburg. I loved it. Thank you for posting the recipe.

o

Posted by lsr2002 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 10:27

Jessy, do you use the full amount of 1T Hot pepper sauce (I would guess Sriracha) and 2T cayenne? That sounds like a lot of heat to me for the amount of the other ingredients.

I'd like to try the recipe after you answer! Do you consider this an entree soup? What do you serve with it?

TIA, Lee

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 12:36

I do so love these cookalongs! I wasn't able to participate this time, due to being sick as a dog during most of it. I had the flu and now a bunch of fluid has taken up residence in my lungs and refuses to leave.

Anyway, here's my two peanut butter contributions, neither of which I was able to make this time, but both of which I have tried and are good, and relatively healthy.

Peanut sauce for pasta (from the Smuckers Peanut Butter jar lid)
1 cup natural peanut butter (not the hydrogenated kind with added sugar)
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup ketchup
1 TBLSP soy sauce (I use low salt)
1 tsp. garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
1 1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar, but rice is great!)
Can add some ginger, hot pepper and lime juice if you want it with more kick.

Combine to for a smooth sauce. Pour over pasta and sauteed vegetables.

Saute an onion and a green or red pepper at the very least for this pasta. You could add broccoli and many other veggies if you are a veggie lover like me. Can also add pork, chicken or tofu.
Serve over pasta--lo mein noodles, or any other shape of pasta you like, or rice pasta or buckwheat pasta.
Garnish with chopped roasted peanuts and cilantro or parsley if you like it.

Frozen Banana Treats (these are GREAT to make with kids, and are at least a little bit on the healthy side with milk and peanut butter providing protein)

1 large banana
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 TBLSP sugar
5 oz. chocolate chips

Blend banana, peanut butter, milk and sugar in blender. Put chocolate chips in the bottom of 6 oz. wax cups, pour banana mixture into cups and freeze. Add popsicle sticks after about 1 hour so they will stand upright.
Yummy!

o

Mon, May 3, 10 at 13:15

Oh boy, I'm glad I saw Pink's post to this thread today. I'm on vacation and forgot about that the Cookalong would be ending.

Time for a new subject!!!!

I just pulled a name....

>>>>>>>>> Dirtgirl07 Would you pick an ingredient and post it to this thread? Then I can set up the next Cookalong. No meat or fish please, we want everyone to be able to participate.

Nancy

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 14:53

So you're actually gone? Good for you!!!

Annie

o

Posted by dirtgirl07 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 16:32

Hey Nancy, when I read your email I was afraid of this!! Has anyone done pineapple? Would that be a good spring into summer one?

Beth

o

Mon, May 3, 10 at 19:38

Yes Annie, I'm actually gone! I'm in Orlando.

Beth I think pineapple sounds like a wonderful choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #27 ----- Pineapple!!!!!
o

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 19:38

I got this out of the Fort Worth Star Telegram newspapers years ago. We love it, and it is so easy.

FORT WORTH PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

2 sticks butter (real butter)
2 cups chocolate chips
16-oz jar crunchy or extra crunchy peanut butter (I use JIF)
1 lb. box powdered sugar

Put butter and chocolate chips in a large glass bowl and place in microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute; then stir mixture well. If chips are not totally melted return to microwave and run on high for another 30 seconds. Remove and stir well. Put the jar of peanut butter in the chocolate mix and stir well. Add box of powdered sugar and mix thoroughly. It gets tougher to stir once you have added powdered sugar so need some muscle. When thoroughly mixed, spray a 9 x 13 pan with Pam (or equivalent) or you can butter the pan well. Put fudge in the pan and spread out evenly. Place in refrigerator overnight. When ready to cut fudge into squares, remove from refrigerator for 30 minutes or so before cutting.

This is so easy and so very good. Hope you all enjoy.

Comment

Sponsored