SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #37 - Butter

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #37 ----BUTTER!
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 19:49

Pull out The Holiday recipes!

Annie1992 has picked out next ingredient and it a great one for this time of year.

>>>>>>>>>>>>> BUTTER This basic staple is heavily used in recipes this time of year. What are some of your favorites?

Recipes do not have to be just for the Holidays as I know we all use butter throughout the year. But please, no 'fake' butter recipes.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #36 ------ HONEY
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #37 ----BUTTER!

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 20:20

One of my faves....blender Hollendaise.
Ingredients

4 egg yolks
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice ( I like 2 tablespoons)
1 shot tobasco -
¼ pound butter (one stick)
Have eggs at room temp, as well as lemon juice.
Place eggs, lemon, tobasco, salt and mustard into blender and blend until well mixed.
Heat butter until bubbling hard but not brown….with blender running slowly pour into the blender….hot butter cooks the eggs and the sauce thickens….serve immediately or keep hot over boiling water.

And of course Ann's Caramel sauce
Linda,
1 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar and one cup of whipping cream. pinch of salt (optional) and vanilla.
Add everyone except the vanilla and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes and remove from heat. Add vanilla.
Ann.
(If there is any left, eat with a spoon) LOL

And there are shortbread cookies, spritz, butter cookies, pecan snow balls etc etc etc...
It's all about butter!

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 21:04

OMG,I can feel my waistband tightening.....

Aw heck, you only live once! Here we go!

Buffalo Wings

2-1/2 lb chicken wings, separated
1/2 c butter
1/2c Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 6oz. pkg dry Italian dressing mix
2 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp dry basil

Fry unbreaded wings in hot oil until meat is cooked and skin is crispy.

Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan, stir in remaining ingredients. Toss cooked wings in sauce until coated. Place wings on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes at 350º

Serve with Blue Cheese dressing and celery sticks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted back in 2005 by Janet_KS I have made this one often....super simple!

Toffee

1/2 lb. butter
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
4 or 5 Hershey bars or milk chocolate chips (approx. 6-8 oz.)
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Butter cookie pan and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Put butter and sugar in heavy skillet and bring to boil. Boil for 12 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour candy into cookie pan and allow it to cool a minute or two. Place chocolate on top of candy and wait a couple of minutes for it to soften. Spread chocolate evenly and top with remaining nuts. When cool, break into pieces.

JANET'S NOTES: I sometimes use margarine instead of butter and usually only cook it for 10 minutes rather than 12 minutes (probably varies due to type of skillet used). To cool quickly, I put mine in the refrigerator.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the best Scampi recipe I've ever had. It's from allrecipes, posted by slipmaloney. Deeeee-Lish!

Ultimate Shrimp Scampi

1 (16 ounce) package angel hair pasta
1/2 cup butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry white wine
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1/2 cup Asiago cheese, diced
1 large avocado - peeled, pitted and diced

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the angel hair pasta, and cook until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes; drain.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and white wine. Once the mixture begins to bubble, increase the heat to medium-high, and stir in the shrimp. Cook and stir until the shrimp turn pink, and are no longer transparent in the center, about 5 minutes.

Serve the scampi over a bed of angel hair pasta, and sprinkle with Asiago cheese and avocado to serve.

Linda

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 23:31

This is a truly decadent first course and needs the best quality ingredients you can find, including the butter.

COACH HOUSE CRAB WITH PROSCIUTTO - 6 servings

24 thin slices of prosciutto
12 oz. Fresh lump crab meat
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce (I use Cholula)
1 lemon
2 Tbs. minced parsley
Freshly ground black pepper

Arrange 4 slices of prosciutto on a flat surface, each slightly overlapping the other. Place a heaping tablespoon of crab in the center of the end slice. Roll ham slices over filling cigar-style; repeat with remaining meat and crab to make 6 rolls.

Heat butter in a large skillet; when it foams, add the six rolls. (The ham will cling to the drab when heated.) Turn rolls once and cook until ham starts to frizzle and crab is heated through. Transfer to a hot serving dish.

Add Worcestershire and Tabasco to skillet and squeeze in juice of lemon. Heat for about 30 seconds and pour over ham. Sprinkle each roll with parsley and pepper.

o

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 2:58

I'll have to add this one:

AUNTY DOE'S SHORTBREAD

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 13:42

Here's the recipe from my Aunt which has been made for over 60 years and is a family favourite which has been passed on and on and on.
It's one great shortbread!:

Aunty Doe's Shortbread

1/2 lb salted butter - softened to room temperature
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
2 cups flour

Mix butter and icing sugar, then add flour, mixing by hand.
Form into a brick shape...if necessary put in fridge to cool, then slice into thick rectangles.
(Slice thickly from the end of the "brick" and then slice each one again so the pieces come out at around 1" x 2" (2.5 cm x 5 cm) and about 3/4 inch thick. She liked to put a small dot of either red or green glace cherry in the middle of each.)

Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet at 275F for one hour.

SharonCb

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 3:08

YUM! Here are a few must haves for the holidays.....

MARINATED SHRIMP WITH CHAMPAGNE BEURRE BLANC
Sauce base
2 cups Champagne or other dry sparkling wine
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Shrimp
1 cup Champagne or other dry sparkling wine
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
24 extra-large uncooked shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled with tail left intact, deveined
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Nonstick vegetable oil spray

1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces
For sauce base:
Combine Champagne, shallots, vinegar, and peppercorns in heavy medium saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/4 cup liquid, about 20 minutes. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)

For shrimp:
Combine Champagne, olive oil, shallots, and ground pepper in resealable plastic bag. Add shrimp to bag and seal; shake bag to coat shrimp evenly. Marinate shrimp at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour, turning bag occasionally. Mix chives, tarragon, and parsley in small bowl.

Preheat broiler. Spray broiler pan with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Drain shrimp; discard plastic bag with marinade. Arrange shrimp on prepared pan in single layer. Broil shrimp until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side. Stand 3 shrimp, tails upright, in center of each plate.

Rewarm sauce base over medium-low heat. Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, just allowing each to melt before adding next (do not boil or sauce will separate). Season beurre blanc to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon warm sauce around shrimp. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.

Market tip: Champagne and sparkling wines labeled extra dry are actually slightly sweeter than those labeled brut. The latter works best for this dish.

Phyllo Triangles with Lobster Filling
Martha Stewart Entertaining
Makes about 50

1 Steamed Lobster
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
6 scallions finely chopped
¼ cup white wine or vodka
1 ½ tbsp all purpose flour
¼ cup heavy cream
pinch of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

1 lb Phyllo
1 lb unsalted butter, melted

Remove meat from lobster and chop. Set aside
Melt 2 tbsp butter in a small skillet and sauté the scallions for 2 or 3 min. Add lobster meat and wine or vodka and stir quickly to combine over high heat. Drain the mixture reserving the liquid.

Melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter in another skillet. Add the flour and cook slowly without coloring the flour for 5 minutes. Add the reserved liquid and cream and stir constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir the lobster meat back into the cream mixture, add cayenne and season to taste. Cool completely before filling the triangles.

Prepare the triangles as you would sharon’s Spanikopita. If you need those directions, I can copy them over.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 4:26

OMG - this is to die for on a steak!

ROQUEFORT BUTTER

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 shallots, sliced thin (about 2/3 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz. Roquefort cheese, crumbled
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 Tblsp. good-quality red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Melt 1 Tbs. of the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until the shallots are soft, about 5 min. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, using a mixer or a wooden spoon, beat the remaining butter until soft and creamy. Scrape the butter off the beaters or spoon. Add the cooled shallots and garlic, Roquefort, thyme, and vinegar to the butter and mix together with a rubber spatula. Season with salt and pepper. Taste again for balance, adding a drop more vinegar or a dash more salt if necessary.

If you like, serve with a generous tablespoon of Roquefort Butter on each steak, letting the butter soften slightly on the cooked steak for a minute or two. Yields about 1-1/2 cups.

This butter mixture, called a compound butter, can be stored in a covered plastic container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap the butter in plastic wrap or waxed paper, roll into a log 2 inches in diameter, and freeze for up to 2 months.

Recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.

o

Posted by nancedar (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 4:43

Hope someone from up North, like Canada LOL, posts a TNT recipe for Butter Tarts. Ate one every day from a little bakery when I lived a short while in Brossard QC (next to Montreal). Yum.

Nancy

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 7:19

My Mom makes the best butter tarts! She even sells them at my step-father's work! LOL

Walnuts/raisins are often in Canadian butter tarts. Mom just puts raisins in hers, but you can put both, or none in.

Jasdip's Mom's Butter Tarts :D

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cream or half and half
1/2 cup butter, melted
raisins

Make pastry and cut with a large biscuit cutter and put into muffin cups.

Put some raisins in each unbaked shell. Spoon mixture over top.

Bake at 425 degrees 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 until
done, another 8-10 minutes.

o

Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 7:46

BUTTERY DINNER ROLLS

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 1/4 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
1 large egg slightly beaten
8 tablespoons butter melted
2 tablespoons butter flavored vegetable shortening

Place 2 cups flour in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast, salt, sugar and dry milk. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine water and egg and stir to blend. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour water mixture into the well. Mix by hand, beating 150 strokes and frequently scraping bottom and sides of bowl. Add 1/2 of the melted butter and beat to incorporate. Add remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating to incorporate each addition. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Set dough in a warm, draft free place such as oven with a pan of the hottest tap water on the rack below.

Allow batter to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Coat cups, bottoms and sides of 12 cup muffin pan (or two small round pans) with shortening. Punch down batter (batter will be extremely soft and sticky). Drop by hand or spoonful into prepared muffin cups to make 12 rolls (or in pan touching the next). Brush dough with 1/2 remaining melted butter. Let rise uncovered in a warm draft free place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes. In preheated 400 degree oven, bake rolls on middle rack for 16-18 minutes. Brush tops of baked rolls with remaining melted butter.

TEXAS ROADHOUSE CINNAMON BUTTER

Texas Road House is known for their delicious rolls.
1 C. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/3 C. sweetened condensed milk (chilled)
1/2 tsp. corn syrup
3/4 to 1 tsp. cinnamon (to taste)

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until mixture is smooth. Serve with hot rolls or muffins. This may be stored in the refrigerator.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This recipe eliminates the rolling and turns of the traditional croissant recipes. I freeze the butter in the second step and my pea sized chunks are larger rather than smaller peas.

I have also used this dough to shape old fashioned Butterflake dinner rolls.

EASY CROISSANTS

Source of Recipe
RC

1 package yeast
1 cup water
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 cups flour, divided use
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup firm butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water

In a bowl, combine yeast with water. Add evaporated milk, egg, sugar, salt and 1 cup of the flour. Beat to a smooth batter and blend in 1/4 cup melted butter.

In a large bowl, cut the 1 cup of firm butter into the remaining 4 cups of flour until pea-sized. Pour the yeast mixture over the, butter-flour mixture and gently mix just until the flour is moistened. Cover with clear plastic wrap and refrigerate until well-chilled, 4 hours to 4 days.

Knead the dough on a floured board about 6 turns to release air bubbles. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Keeping the other parts refrigerated, roll one part into a 15-inch diameter circle, then cut into 8 equal wedges. For each croissant, roll wedges toward the point. Gently turn the ends toward the center to form a crescent.

Place on an ungreased baking sheet with the point down, about an inch apart. Repeat with remaining parts. Cover the croissants with a clean tea towel and let rise at room temperature. When almost doubled in bulk, about 2 hours, brush them with a mixture of the 1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes.

My notes... after removing the dough from the refrigerator, knead a couple of times. Put half of the dough back into the refrigerator. Roll remaining dough, into a rectangle, fold up like a letter and roll into a rectangle again, about 10 X 15. Cut into 7 rolls along the wide side (zig-zag pattern) each roll will be about 4 1/2 to 5" on the wide end and 10" long. Repeat with other half of dough. Total 14 croissants that are large enough for making sandwiches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Rolls

Source of Recipe

2 packages active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2/3 cup plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 cup warmed milk
2/3 cup butter
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
7 cups flour

Filling:
1 cup melted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, optional
1 1/2 cups raisins, optional

In a cup, combine yeast, warm water and 1 tsp. sugar, stir and set aside. In a large bowl, mix milk, remaining 2/3 cup sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs; stir well and add yeast mixture. Add half the flour and beat until smooth.

Stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is slightly stiff (dough will be sticky). Turn out onto a well-floured board; knead 5-10 minutes. Place in glass or plastic bowl and cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

When doubled, punch down dough and let rest 5 minutes. Roll out on floured surface into a 15 x 20 inch rectangle.

To prepare filling:
Spread dough with 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix together 1 1/2 cups sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts and raisins, if using.

Roll up and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 slices.

Coat bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and an 8-inch square pan with remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.

Place cinnamon roll slices close together in pans. Let rise in warm place until dough is doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Topping:
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo syrup
2 cups pecans chopped (optional)

In a saucepan place all ingredients except for the pecans. Melt these ingredients on range top. Mix in pecans then pour over top of rolls.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. bake for approximately 25 minutes or until done. Let cool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy!

Nancy

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 8:27

CAUTION: This recipe uses uncooked eggs..

TOASTED WALNUT BUTTER ��" 4 cups ��" 8 servings

1 pound butter, room temperature
3 Tbs. heavy cream
3 egg yolks
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup lightly toasted ground walnuts
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 Tbs. minced garlic

In a food processor or by hand, cream the butter. Add the cream and egg yolks and blend until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate, well covered, if not using immediately.

For each entree serving, have 1/ 2 cup of the butter at room temperature; toss with cooked, drained pasta over low heat in the pasta cooking pan. Dust with minced parsley and additional Parmesan, if desired.

This butter is also good on baked potatoes, steamed green vegetables, chicken breasts, etc. Minced fresh herbs can be added but I prefer to let the walnuts be the dominant flavor.

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 9:21

Just found this one on thekitchn. Thinking about it for Friday AM after T-giving.

No-Knead Pumpkin Rolls with Brown Sugar Glaze
Makes 16-18 rolls

For the dough:
1/4 cup water
1 scant tablespoon yeast (1 package)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

For the filling:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups pecans - toasted, chopped, and divided in half (optional)

For the glaze:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
pinch salt
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it sit a few minutes until the yeast is dissolved.

Meanwhile, warm the milk and butter in a small saucepan on the stove top until the butter is melted. Combine this with the sugar in a large heat-proof mixing bowl and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Let the milk mixture cool until it is just warm to the touch - NOT HOT. Then stir in the yeast and the pumpkin. Add the salt and five cups of the flour all at once, stirring until all the flour has been absorbed. Squish it between your hands if you’re having trouble incorporating the last of the flour. The dough will be sticky, but should come together in a shaggy ball. If it's still more the consistency of cookie batter, work in an additional 1/2 cup of flower.

Cover the dough and let it rise for 1-3 hours. During this time, it should double in bulk. At this point, you can punch the dough down and refrigerate it overnight or continue shaping the rolls.

To shape the rolls (either immediately or with the refrigerated dough), sprinkle your work surface with a little flour and dump the dough on top. Pat it down into a rough rectangle and then use a floured rolling pin to roll it into a rectangular shape about a half an inch thick, longer than it is wide. If the dough gets sticky, sprinkle a little more flour on the dough’s surface and on your hands.

Melt the butter in the microwave and stir in the brown sugar and the spices. Spread this over the rectangle of dough, leaving an inch of bare dough at the top. Sprinkle one cup of the toasted pecans over the dough, if using. Starting at the edge closest to you, roll the dough into a cylinder and pinch it closed at the top.

Rub a tablespoon of soft butter into the bottom of two 9x13 baking dishes, two 9-inch cake pans, or a combination. Using a bench cutter or a sharp knife, cut the cylinder into individual rolls 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick. Place them into your baking dishes so they have a little wiggle room on all sides to rise. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise until they fill the pan and look puffy, 30 minutes for already-warm dough and 1 hour for dough that’s been refrigerated.

About 20 minutes before baking, begin heating the oven to 375°. When the rolls are ready, bake them for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden and starting to look toasted around the edges. Rotate the pans halfway through cooking.

While they are baking, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and butter. When the butter has melted, add the brown sugar and salt. Stir until the brown sugar has melted. Remove from heat and strain into a mixing bowl to remove any sugar clumps. Stir in the powdered sugar. This should form a thick but pourable glaze.

Let the baked rolls cool for about five minutes and then pour the glaze on top. Sprinkle the remaining cup of pecans over the top, if more nuttiness is desired. Eat them immediately. Leftovers will keep for several days and are best reheated for a minute in the microwave.

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 9:38

Here's one of my favorites, from one of my favorite forum members. Lars, I hope you don't mind me posting this recipe. Oh, and I've always followed it as written, using the Amaretto. I bet they're good using the other suggested substitutes as well.

Lars' Danish Butter Cookies Â

1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks, beaten
2-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 teaspoons Amaretto
Â
 How to Prepare :

Cream butter and sugar. Beat egg yolks in, one at a time. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Chill dough. Roll dough into small balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press dough with any press or glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 325 degrees for 12 to 18 minutes, or until lightly brown around edge. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and cool.

You can substitute other flavorings for the Amaretto, such as a bit of grated lemon rind or vanilla or coconut extract.

Sally

o

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 11:15

Here is a recipe for Pasta Frolla from my friend and neighbor. I had a little trouble with the conversions but maybe your scales will make that easier. The conversions I use are in parenthesis. It is like a rich shortbread. She served it filled with lemon curd with a few shapes of the dough on top. Very pretty, very tasty.

Pasta Frolla

270 gr. (2 cups) All purpose flour

115 gr. (1 cup) Powdered sugar

135 gr. (9 1/2 Tbsp.) Butter

4 Egg yolks

A little orange peel grated

Using a food processor mix the flour with the diced butter to make crumbs. Add sugar and orange peel then one yolk at a time. The pastry will all lump together. Leave it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Using a rolling pin, roll out on a board or cold surface. Remove some to make criss-cross pattern or shapes with cutters on the surface after filling the base.

Using a flan dish (for this quantity I use a flan dish that measures about 9.5 inches in diameter. If the pastry breaks when you try to lift it to put in the dish, don’t worry, just piece it together in the dish and put bits around the edge of the dish too. The fill it with lemon curd or whatever you want.

When you have finished adding the pastry on top, be it criss-cross or shapes, use some of your egg whites to brush all the pastry that is visible.

I cooked it at about 350 degree F for about 45 minutes. Mine is a convection oven so you’ll just have to be careful.

Here is a link to a blog recipe that is similar and it has pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar recipe
o
Cookalong #37 --- BUTTER!

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 11:21

Links to all the other cookalongs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong Links
o

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 14:43

Forgot about one of my favorite uses for butter.
Buy whole lobsters....get big pot of salted water to boiling, plunge lobsters in head first, clap on the lid and boil about 6 minutes for small "chicken" lobster.
Drain, remove feelers and place on your plate along side a dish containing about 1/2 a cup of melted butter.
Works with crab too!
Linda C

o

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 15:19

Annie selected BUTTER?? Ratz! Butter and cream are my nemeses (plural of Nemesis?)...but Annie is my hero.

As usual, I'll be watching the Cookalong closely.

o

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 15:54

Sally, thanks for posting that recipe! I'm not on the forum much at home, and I don't have the recipe here. It's definitely one of my favorite butter recipes, and I've made it often. You know I was born in Texas, don't you!

One of my favorite new uses for butter is to make grilled garlic toast. Here's the method:

Mash two or three cloves of garlic in a mortar & pestle with about a teaspoon of salt. Add one stick of soft butter and blend with the garlic. Add 2-4 tablespoons of EVOO plus fresh herbs and fresh black pepper, as you desire. Slice your bread of choice (I use sourdough) into 1/2" thick slices, butter both sides, and then place the bread on a charcoal grill for a smoked flavor. If the grill is very hot, they will toast in about two minutes each side, and so you have to watch them carefully. The butter is very good at absorbing the smoky flavor, and I always use Mesquite charcoal. You could grill them inside, but the flavor will not be the same. If you toast them in a toaster oven, put butter on one side only and make the slices thinner.

Lars

o

Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 18:16

This is my go-to biscuit recipe. Super easy, and delicious.
I cut it in half, for the 2 of us.

Baking Powder Biscuits

4 cups flour
2 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, cubed
1 3/4 cups milk

In large bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until coarse crumbs. (I also rub some in with my fingers.) Pour almost all of the milk over top, stirring with a fork to form ragged dough.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead gently until dough comes together. Pat or roll into 3/4" thickness. Using a 3 1/4" floured cutter, cut out rounds. Place on ungreased rimless baking sheet. Gather up scraps and cut more rounds, pressing remaining scraps into final biscuit.

Brush tops with remaining milk and bake in center of 375* oven for about 30 minutes or until golden. Let cool on pan on rack.

Leftovers or make-ahead: Wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Thaw and reheat in 350* oven 10 minutes.

o

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 18:40

We don't much like white pastas or red sauces but this time of year we really enjoy these ravs. DH made them a couple weeks ago & used wonton wrappers since making pasta isn't yet something he's willing to try. They were great but if you use the wontons you have to be careful 'cause they cook very quickly & will fall apart...we know because DH lost the first batch! :)

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli with a Sage Brown Butter Sauce

Ingredients

9 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1 cup roasted butternut squash puree
Salt/Pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus 2 ounces
Pinch nutmeg (itty-bitty pinch)
1 recipe pasta dough, rolled out into wide ribbons, about 1/4-inch thick
12 fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallots and saute for 1 minute. Add the squash puree and cook until the mixture is slightly dry, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cream and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons cheese and nutmeg, to taste. Season with salt and pepper.

Cool completely.

Cut the pasta ribbons into 3-inch squares. Place 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center of each pasta square. Bring 1 corner of the square to the other, forming a triangle and seal the pasta completely. Add the pasta to pot of boiling salted water. Cook until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes or until the pasta floats and is pale in color.

Remove the pasta from the water and drain well. Season the pasta with salt and pepper.

In a large saute pan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. Add the sage to the butter and continue to cook until the butter starts to brown. Remove from the heat.

Place some of the pasta in the center of each serving plate. Spoon the butter sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle the 2 ounces of cheese over each plate and garnish with parsley.

/tricia

P.S. These are also very good with a bit of finely crumbled bacon added to the squash puree. Not much, just a tablespoon, or so.

o

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 18:58

This is one of my absolute favorites! I even served kourabiedes at my wedding instead of cake. I used to drive my mom & grandma nuts snitching bits of raw dough. Just be careful to not inhale any powdered sugar when you eat them! This is my family's recipe.

Kourabiedes
(Greek Butter Cookies)

Traditional Greek Christmas cookies coated with powdered sugar.

1 pound sweet, unsalted butter
½ cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
4-4½ cups flour (no more than 4½ cups)
1-2 pounds powdered sugar

Soften butter at room temperature. In large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy using an electric mixer. Add sugar and egg yolk and continue to cream. Gradually add the flour, a little at a time, until a very, very soft dough is formed.

Break off pieces slightly larger than a walnut and roll into balls, half-moons, or S-curves. Place on unbuttered cookie sheets (use parchment paper, if desired) allowing an inch between each cookie.

Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden colored, not browned; do not over bake. Remove from the oven and carefully place on paper towels and allow to cool.
Sift powdered sugar over cooled cookies; they must be very well coated. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

For a colorful presentation, cookies may be served in individual paper muffin baking cups.

Variations:
·Add ½ cup blanched and finely chopped almonds or finely chopped walnuts to the dough before shaping.
·Add 1 teaspoon vanilla with the egg yolk.
·Add ½ teaspoon baking powder for a lighter, fluffier cookie.
·Sprinkle cookies with 1-2 tablespoons rose water as soon as they come out of the oven (before dusting with powdered sugar).
·Stud each cookie with a whole clove before baking.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 21:43

LOL, Cathy. Yes, butter seemed like a good choice, with the holidays coming up....

Annie

o

Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 9:42

Yes. Lars, I knew you at least lived in Texas. I see your cookies in my near future!

Denise, I've never heard of pasta frolla. Can you tell more about what it is?

Sally

o

Posted by nancedar (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 22:00

jasdip - OMG those butter tarts are even better than I remember in Brossard! Please give a hug to your mom and tell her she made my day, week, month, year, lifetime with that recipe. All you Southern continent folks really need to try this treat. Actually, I sent it to my sister in Alaska so she would be just Western continent. LOL.

Nancy

o

Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 19:24

I just read your post now Nancy.
Gee thanks!!!! They are the best I've ever had, and I'm not even being biased. I'm truthful, they are. Not sickeningly sweet and runny.

Glad I could help you find a great butter tart recipe!

o

Posted by lorijean44 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 10:24

My contributions are all cookies:

Butter Bits

1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Mix all ingredients. Place walnut-sized ball of dough on parchment- or silicone mat-lined baking sheet. Flatten in criss-cross pattern with floured fork. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes. (Mine browned a little too much this time.)

When completely cooled, lightly sprinkle with confectioners's sugar before serving.

Yield: 1 to 1-1/2 dozen cookies

Shortbread

1 pound of butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup sugar
5 - 6 cups of unbleached flour

Cream the butter with the extracts. Gradually add the sugar and the flour. When the climate is dry, I generally only need 5 cups of flour. It was raining most of the day today and it took all 6 cups of flour to come together.

Pat/roll the dough out to a rectangle on an ungreased cookies sheet, 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick. Prick the top of the dough with a fork. Bake at 350 F for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the edges barely turn golden. Slice the dough while still warm, but leave on the cookie sheet until thoroughly cooled.

Russian Teacakes

2/3 cups toasted nuts (hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts are all good choices - I used walnuts this time)
2 cups of flour, divided
1 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup confectioners' sugar to roll baked cookies in

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

Toast the nuts in a dry skillet on top of the stove over low heat, stirring frequently. (This should take about 5 - 8 minutes.) Cool.

Place cooled, toasted nuts and 2 tablespoons of the flour in a food processor, and finely chop the nuts, being careful not to over-process the nuts to a paste. Set aside.

In bowl of mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 - 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add remaining flour and salt, and beat until well-combined. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate dough for about 1 hour or until dough is firm.

Form the dough into walnut-sized balls, and place them 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until the edges of the cookies start to turn golden. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for about 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, sift remaining powdered sugar. Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar until well-covered.

Store in an airtight container.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Lori

o

Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 11:04

Lori, those all look so good! I love your photos, too, especially the one of the shortbread. But I want to try the Russian Tea Cakes.

Jasdip, I scrolled back and looked at your recipe for the Butter Tarts. Can you elaborate on your recipe? There are so many pastry recipes, what do you use for pastry? The ignorant want to know. (Me.)

Sally

o

Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 11:50

Here's Mom's pastry that she uses Sally. I love the pastry part the best! One time when we were all coming, she made a batch of butter tarts, but left one unfilled. Just baked pastry. For me! LOL I always pick the tart with the most pastry showing.

5 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb butter
1/2 lb lard
(or 1 lb) lard
1 egg
1 tbsp vinegar

Combine dry ingredients, and cut in lard/butter.
Mix an egg in 1 cup measure, add vinegar and add 3/4 cup ice water.

Add the liquid to the flour, stirring with a fork. Mix into a ball, divide into 2. Refrigerate one of the balls, freeze the other for future use.

Roll and cut with biscuit cutter or a can, and press into muffin tins. (I don't know what size of a cutter mom uses, but it's big, because she always has a "dimple" on each tart. That's how I distinguish hers from anyone else's on a plate. LOL

o
Question for jasdip

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 15:54

For the pastry your mom uses, the following was posted:

5 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb butter
1/2 lb lard
(or 1 lb) lard
1 egg
1 tbsp vinegar

Will you please clarify the:

1/2 lb lard
(or 1 lb) lard

o

Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 16:02

Sorry for the confusion!
Either 1/2 lb butter plus 1/2 lb lard,
or 1 lb lard. Whichever your preference.

o

Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 17:00

Not a lard eater here, but is it basically a pie dough?

Sally

o

Posted by booberry85 (becky@leadsafe.us) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 17:58

Butterhorns

This came from Penzeys One Magazine, issue one 2005. This is a â€sleeper.ââ¬Â They donââ¬â¢t seem like very much when you first make them, but you find yourself craving them. The recipe makes 72 cookies.

Ingredients

Dough
1 (2 ý teaspoons) package yeast
1 þ cups milk, divided
ý cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 cup butter
5-5 ý cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar

Filling
ý cup sugar
ü cup butter, melted
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
ü teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Heat ý cup milk to lukewarm (warm to touch). Pour into a small bowl with yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.

In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs with ý cup sugar until blended. Melt 1 cup butter. Mix with 1 ý cup warm milk. Pour milk, butter, yeast mixture and 2 ý cups flour into the mixing bowl. Blend until just mixed. The dough will be very wet. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (1 to 1 ý hours).

After the first rise, mix in 2 ý cups flour. If the dough is still sticky, mix in another ü cup to ý cup flour.

Grab a hunk of dough the size of a tennis ball and roll it in a circular shape on a lightly floured surface. Use as little flour as possible. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread the filling, about a tablespoon, on the dough circle. Donââ¬â¢t spread too much filling or butterhorns will unroll during baking. Cut the circle into 8 triangles (like a pizza), and roll the butterhorns up, starting at the outside edge. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and place on a greased baking sheet.

o

Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 18:14

Sally, Yes, a pie pastry!

o

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 19:53

Here are two butter recipes I like. One is savory and one is sweet.

Provençal Butter
This recipe comes from Jean Francois Meteigner of La Cachette in Los Angeles, CA.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 teaspoons finely chopped black olives
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Allow butter to soften. Sauté the rosemary for 10 seconds in a dab of butter, remove and let cool. Mix all ingredients with a wire whisk until well combined. Serve with French baguettes or freshly baked sourdough rolls.

Orange Honey Butter

1 lb. butter
2 1/2 C. honey
3/4 C. light brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. lemon zest
1 T. orange zest

Mix all these ingredients in your mixer bowl. Blend to combine and then whip it until it is very light. Roll it into several logs or put in a crock and chill. Very good on toast, French toast, pancakes, etc.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 22:08

I was waiting for Ruthanna to post, this is her recipe, but this is one of my favorite ways to use butter, it's wonderful melted over pan fried fish, and equally good as a spread on bread or melted to sauce vegetables.

TOMATO BASIL BUTTER
Ã
1 Tbs. olive oil Ã
1 1/ 2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes (about 1 lb.) Ã
2 tsp. minced garlic Ã
1/ 2 cup sweet butter softened Ã
2 tsp. grated lemon rind Ã
1/ 2 tsp. salt Ã
1/ 8 tsp. pepper Ã
1/4 cup minced fresh basil Ã
Ã
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the tomatoes and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes form a puree that will mound. Let cool.
Ã
Put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat in the tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated but best served at room temperature so that it will melt quickly over the fish. Ã
Ã
Freezes well, make a ââ¬Å"logââ¬Â, wrap in waxed paper, then Ziploc bags.

Annie

o

Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 8:22

I made Lori's Russian Tea Cakes last night, and they're very good. Mine don't look as pretty as hers do in her picture, though. (Isn't that the case with cookbook pictures, too?!) I waited 3 minutes, then rolled them in the powdered sugar, and it sort of melted, or dissolved soon after rolling them. They taste fine, though. Oh and the other thing that happened was that the first one I rolled, I sort of gently tossed it into the bowl of sugar, and it broke completely into crumbs, almost like it exploded. I don't know why. I was much, much more gentle with the following cookies. They are very tender cookies, and just melt in the mouth.

Sally

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 13:56

Jasdip, I just finished making a batch of your Mom's butter tarts and they are wonderful! Best I've had.

My recipe uses corn syrup which bugs me so I've been looking for one that didn't. Yours is it!

I love them...so won't be making them often! LOL

Thank your Mom for me.

o

Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 9:32

I just read through this again and I know I gained a couple of pounds while reading. It all sounds so good.

I'm going to pick a name right now for our last Cookalong of 2010....

>>>>>>>>>>> Lorijean44 Please put your thinking cap on and let us know what you decide. Just post your choice here and I'll start the new thread.

Nancy

o

Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 16:18

Lori has picked dates for Cookalong #38.

Thank you Lori, that's a good idea. I know I use more dates this time of year than any other.

I'll get it set up now...

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #38 ---- Dates!

Comment

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz