SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_55691750942

Does $2,000 quote on plumbing in kitchen remodel sound reasonable?

HU-55691750942
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, I am wondering in a very broad-stroke, ballpark kind of way if my $2,000 plumbing quote sounds reasonable. I am not looking for a bottom of the barrel pricing but I am just hoping that I am not getting ripped off based on the unexpectedness of the job and the need for the project to keep moving ahead.

So what happened was that we are doing a rather substantial kitchen remodel- we are taking out two small walls (about two to three feet each), moving our stove to where our refrigerator is and moving our fridge over, ripping out and replacing all cabinetry, laying new counters, etc...

In the midst of this project, our contractor ripped out one of the two foot walls and a bunch of plumbing/piping was in the wall that was not expected/accounted for.

So anyhow, that necessitated that we get a plumber in immediately so that the project wouldn't stall. The plumber needed to move the piping that ran in that wall (that ran up to our washer and down to our basement) to the adjacent wall and over about 5 feet.

So they moved all that piping to an adjacent wall about 5 feet down. And then they quoted us for a few other things in the project. We are putting our sink in the same location as it was before but the plumber quoted us for moving all the pipes that are currently sticking OUT of the wall (and are therefore inconveniently housed in our under-the-sink cabinet) to move then INSIDE the wall. That way we will save space in our cabinet. To do that they need to cap off a non-functioning return vent and move the piping into the wall.

They also included in the quote that they eliminate the air gap for the dishwasher so that that little nozzle/vent thing doesn't have to stick out of our counter. The included in the quote eliminating our gas line (which we don't need anymore). They included in their quote doing the final reconnect of the sink and dishwasher, as well as the $100 permit that is required for that.

So, in total the plumber quoted us $2,000 for all this:

Moving water pipes/plumbing from one wall to an adjacent wall about 5 feet away, moving under-the-sink plumbing/pipes into the wall (calling for the need to cap off a return vent as well), eliminate a dishwasher air gap, eliminating a gas line, and doing the final sink and dishwasher reconnect as well as pulling the $100 permit for that.

So far the plumber had to come immediately the first day to move the pipes into the other wall and he was here for somewhere between 5-6 hours. He was here the next day for 2 and a half hours to move the under-cabinet pipes into the wall and he will have to come again at the end of the project for the rest of it all (for an estimated 3-5 hours).

Without a ton of other information, I am wondering from contractors on this site and laypeople who have had to get plumbers in to help on their kitchen remodel projects if this $2,000 quote sounds in the ballpark of reasonable.

It is bothering me a bit because I was able to do a fair amount of research on our contractor and our electrician before starting this whole project but the plumber thing got sprung on me kind of quickly and urgently because we weren't expecting all those pipes to be in that one little wall we were having knocked out.

I am just hoping we aren't being ripped off based on the situation we were in. I don't need to be getting a deal but I just don't want to be paying way higher than we should be. For what it is worth, the plumber seems extremely competent and the company has a good reputation.

I live in Wisconsin.

Thank you in advance for ANY insight you can give me- this is really bothering me and this whole remodel is turning into a MUCH bigger project and cost than I anticipated so I guess I am just looking to feel better. Any extra perspective is much appreciated!

Comments (3)