SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evie4

Temporary Kitchen - does it sound crazy?

evie4
10 years ago

I had to come to GW to talk to hopefully some like minded folks--I dare not share this with my husband for fear he may think I have finally lost it! Yesterday we went to our friends home that we will be purchasing in the coming months once they find a new house and move. There is all this stuff to contend with. Fortunately we are in the position that we won't have to pay them until we sell our home and we can do whatever improvements necessary before moving in. But I need to pay cash for those improvements. (Both of us have paid homes and I want to pay them in full once we sell.) Yesterday we went and REALLY looked at the house. It's a 1965 ranch with a terrible 80s bathroom that must be totally remodeled. I won't even describe it, but it's bad. The kitchen is the original and again, we are looking at a total renovation. My husband who rarely says anything about these kinds of things was very vocal about the kitchen on the way home. It is bad. The built in cabinets are just well, disgusting. There is no rehabing here. As much as I would like to work with what is there, I know it is just time for a redo.

So after sleeping on it and thinking about it this morning, I had this idea. I want to have the kitchen ripped out before we move in and set up a temporary kitchen. Get the walls patched and painted and install a laundry (temporary) sink for water. I've got several wire shelving units for storage and tables that can be used to prep and cook on. Also, lots of previously used Flor tile that I can throw over the floors just to make it temporarily look decent. This arrangement to me, as ridiculous as it may sound, is more appealing to the current cruddy kitchen. It would be light, open and clean. This would give me time to live in the space and really think about what I want to do. My priority is getting the bathroom done before we move in, we just can't live through that once we are in the house. I've lived through both bath and kitchen demos that's why I'm really wanting to have these done prior to moving in.

Does this sound like a crazy idea?

Comments (23)