SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
americancolleen

Does this sound right? $$$ Soapstone quote

americancolleen
15 years ago

Hello all,

I'm down towards Cape Cod in MA.

I am completely in the dark regarding what soapstone/marble/granite cost. I'm so dopey that I just realized today that every stone has a different quality to it that is reflected in the cost. I learned that reading the 'marble' thread today.

Anyway, I got a quote from my cabinet place on soapstone --$8,499.00 All I know is that the stone is dark and has some green in it. With the following approximate measurements, does almost 9k (tax) sound about right? This totally destroyed my day as I have my heart set on soapstone (maybe a marble island, but I think that might be even more $$$) -- but at this price, it is well out of my budget.

Would I be on the right track in assuming that the stone cost a certain amount per sq ft and then the installer/fabricator charges an additional amound per sq ft?

Island will be rectangle (shows a round end in the drawing, but I've decided not to do a round end).

Size is approx 8 ft long and 3 ft wide.

Long cabinet run at the back of the room (itÂs a hutch type of thing) is 90 inches long (approx 7 ½ feet) and 25 inches wide (2 ft. 1 inch)

Parameter is where the sink is  that will be an undermount sink and it is approx 30 inches wide. The run is about 12 ft long and it is 25 wide. There is a slight ÂL shape to it as you can see in the drawing. I plan on running the countertop into the window (instead of using a wooden window sill) because the window is going to be counter height.

There is also a small area next to the stove  18 inches wide and 25 inches deep.

I tried to include a 1 inch overhang.

I just want the simplest edge.

Comments (30)