SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vee_new

What are we Reading in February 2020?

vee_new
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

In a corner of my local bank there is a table of second-hand books, take a couple, leave a few more and make a small donation to a good cause. I find I use this as my lending library as there are no emails demanding the return of a book or a hefty fine will be imposed . . . so my latest 'find' has been a new hard-back copy of Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy.

I think it probably was her last book and she manages to bring in most of her characters from the books she has written about families, friends, groups of people in Dublin. This makes for some of the many 'story-lines' and the vast number of characters to become confusing but I soldier-on as I enjoy the light read and the voices and syntax which so remind me of my many Irish friends and acquaintances, not to mention the mostly Irish nuns from my school days. MB had moved on from the old Ireland of donkey carts taking the churns to the creamery and the priest holding total sway over the village. Her Dublin is modern and although the 'boom' times are over it is a large thriving city.

And being a Binchy story you know everything will come right in the end.

Comments (89)