SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6198431

Ready to finish basement - ideas/help please

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I posted this in basements but haven't gotten any feedback so thought I would share in other topics as well.

Hello, after living in our home for 5 years we are finally ready to finish our basement. We got a quote when we first moved in but I’m now thinking that the plan they quoted is no longer what we need. I would love ideas and suggestions on how best to finish the space. We have no plans to move, so while I value what works for resale, I’m more interested in making sure the space works for us.

We have three boys ranging in age from 13 to 4. I stay at home and homeschool them. We currently use our front room, which the builder designated as a dining room, as our library. We have two large bookcases in there, a small desk with computer, and a chair and ottoman. While the library is nice for storage, we do most all of our work at the table in our morning room. The basement is currently set up and functioning as if it were finished. There is a space with a couch and tv where my older boys play video games, a large play area for my preschooler, an exercise area and another area that has a desk and computer. Where the bathroom is roughed in I have three storage shelves.

I’d like at least one tv area, an area for exercise equipment (treadmill, bike, and free weights), an office area for my husband, a spot for a table for lessons and board games, and a bar area/nook. I don’t need a very large unfinished storage area. I plan to utilize the space under the stairs and I can fit 1 or 2 shelving units in the mechanical area. We do have a large amount of board games and art supplies, currently three shelving units worth, that will need to either stay on some sort of shelving/bookcase or go into a closet.

The photo is from the builders handout. I made a couple of adjustments to it; added a door to access under the steps, moved the hot water heater to the location ours is in, and removed the wall for the den and closet. I also measured the space and put those measurements on the drawing. There are only two support posts, the two circles in the middle of the space. We have rough-ins where the bathroom is shown on the plan.

I’ll add a couple of ideas I had in the comments below.

Comments (5)