SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncdel_gw

finishing a basement, looking for ideas you love

ncdel
11 years ago

We are starting to get estimates to finish our basement. I think it is around 1500 sq ft and a very irregular shape with furnace/hot water heater kind of smack in the middle. We are trying not to go completely nuts and end up with a $50K bill but we also want to make it distinctive & interesting and useful, especially since we are likely to have to move in a few years & it could be a great selling point.

Wet bar & bathroom plumbing are all roughed in and there are 2 windows, one where the bedroom would go.

Current ideas are:

-1 bedroom, 1 full bath

-back area by stairs could be made into a play room w/ large doors that could be opened up to share in main space or closed to hide toys & mess, etc. This could be an exercise room for future owners.

- area enclosed by furnace/water has enough space to do ample storage of seasonal & other items on shelves, etc.

- the rest is an L shape, with the bottom of the "L" being relatively short in proportion to the rest. But, that area would be perfect for mounting a TV, having a built in or very large entertainment center & sofa.

- We definitely want a wet bar...question is, do we do a full bar? I imagine a full bar area, fridge, cabinetry, granite countertops, etc are going to be a huge expense...but worth it???

- considering a built in work space/craft area/desk near the play room area that would have a counter so kids can do art projects, I could do wrapping or other random projects, we'd have some storage for those sorts of supplies...

- not sure about the rest of this space, it would be like a big open area connecting the bar/tv area to the bedroom/playroom size & I don't really know what would become of it... (toy dumping ground probably. ha.)

I know it is hard w/ out a drawing,but would love any creative ideas or thoughts on 'must have' type things in a house that is new construction in a pretty competitive neighborhood (most homes are custom, ours is not).

(we are not DIYers so I know some of you will want to suggest that...not going to happen, I can hang a picture & that's about all I have a desire to do).

Comments (8)