SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fnmroberts

Finished Basement Ideas

fnmroberts
18 years ago

Hello All,

This is a new forum category which had it been available for the past several years, might have assisted me. Nevertheless, I have lurked and commented from time-to-time on the Kitchen Forum and believe these are places to guide and assist others. Thus, with our basement nearing completion, perhaps some of the things we have implememted will give help to those of you about to embark on finishing your basements.

Ours was a bare concrete space. A typical basement, not English or walk-out. Aside from the furnace, water heater and electrical panel, there was only 1 outlet and some pull-chain bare bulbs. We took our time - an important consideration - and decided what we wanted to do with the space. Over the past 5 winters, we have transformed the bare to what you can view by going to "My Page". The bathroom is all that remains - next winter!

DW and I have conspired and agreed on each matter. It all started with my wanting a bar and her expressing need for a second oven. What we have is a contemporary entertainment space which is entirely different from the traditional character in the rest of our home. All of the construction, plumbing, electrical and finishing work have been done by us. We only hired the carpeting installed on the stairs and a friend assisted with the floor because he wanted to help.

Major construction is of 2 x 4's with 2" styrofoam insulation between the studs (this leaves clearance for electrical too). We chose drywall for both the ceiling and walls because that is the look we wanted, though drop ceilings have merit in basements. The finished area is approximately 650 square feet with 100 of that being the kitchen/bar. Flooring is tile because we believe sump pumps fail and water heaters spring leaks - though area rugs are in use too. The one outlet has grown to 12 circuits, 18 cans, 2 sconces, 5 pendants, 6 pucks, 2 strip lights, 24 switches and 21 outlets. Most of the lights are on dimmers enabling us to create the atmosphere.

With each of the posted photos, I have tried to offer some pointers or ideas which we have implemented. I hope some will become useful to another. The most important pointer though is to PLAN - think of everything you want and incorporate it now.

Forrest

Comments (13)