SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Ready to start on Basement BR- tile suggestions please!

raehelen
15 years ago

OK,

Kitchen is coming to a close, hardwood will be installed as soon as next week, time to get serious about the bathrooms! We have gutted the basement BR and are planning on putting in a neo-angle shower in the bottom left corner of picture. It will be replacing a tub that did drain close to toilet, so DH can hardly wait to start pounding concrete to move drain over to far left wall. (Actually, guess drain would be in centre of shower, right?)

So, I think I have a plan. We bought Tarkett fibrefloor over a year ago, so will go with what we have, but plan to tile shower (probably acrylic pan for floor). The walls are poured cement 59" high, (normal wood frame above that)and DH plans to build an inside wall on those so we're thinking that would make a natural 8" deep shelf for the shower. I thought I could cap it with granite to match the vanity, AND I thought it would be neat just to continue that shelf for the whole wall over the toilet- it would also become the window sill. So, how much of a slope does the 8" shelf have to have inside the shower? Can I continue that slope for the rest of the room?

I am thinking right now to create two pony walls for outside corners of shower with glass on top, and then a glass door for the angle. That way natural light would get into shower from window over the toilet. I thought I could cap those two walls with the granite too, and then tile all the walls in the BR up to pony wall height- so guess I should make the pony wall same height as countertop + backsplash...

Any thoughts or suggestions, am I heading in the right direction? Will be asking for help when it actually comes time to start with the Kerdi... getting excited and nervous!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022