SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

DIY start...planning stage...appreciate advice or suggestions..

lmhall2000
14 years ago

After tackling fitting out 1200 sq. feet in unfinished attic space adding a bathroom, tiling all my wet areas (baths/laundry), staining/finishing wood floors, and completely gutting/replacing complete kitchen...I am ready to build a pool.

I actually went to 3 local pool builders and received quotes...when the first one came back with a $100,000 cost on a 20x40 vinyl pool..I choked. I priced out all the parts that he was giving us and came to a whopping 18k (and that's FULL retail, all the bells whistles)..his comment was he likes to quote high and come in lower so it pleases the customer..oh my goodness...that was the first sign I would need to look into doing it myself. The second has been watching my friends..they were assured their pool would start in August and be completed by October, it's now January, and all they have is a hole in their backyard and their 30k quote has not increased to over 40k...(no rocks or boulders, just being strung along)...

So, here is what I have concluded....

20x40 vinyl steel (higher gauge) or polymer (best quality I can find) design with rounded corners (looking at Kafko?) a 10 or 11 foot acrylic or thermo step (which one??) and a walkout step in the deep end. 48" walls

2 LED lights (Intellibrite or Colorlogic)

Pentair or Hayward equipment..I prefer Pentair but seems like the majority around here use Hayward so I worry about maintenance or repairs, but from what I've read Pentair has a solid product.

Salt-water pool most likely..not sure about the whole cartridge v. filter stuff...we live on a 6 acre farm and the pool will be right next to our horse pastures, I don't like the idea of flushing stuff out to the pastures?? Like I said, I'm not clear on this issue.

That's where I'm at right now, hope to start in about 10 weeks...so I've got a lot of planning...and need to figure out the best place to order stuff..I do have a local guy who put in pools for 30 years that is now retired that has offered his help..but he hasn't used polymer walls and I want to make sure I know the most up to date stuff..guessing it hasn't changed much in 10 years??

Thanks for any suggestions..just looking for quality parts and don't mind paying a little more to have it be longer lasting...

Tara

Comments (20)