SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scully931

New garden advice needed, please. (Not about plants)

scully931
14 years ago

Hi,

I decided to ask this question here because you all are nice and it's the forum I'm in most frequently.

I am starting a cottage garden in the front of my house. I moved into the house almost three years ago and have been concentrating on the back and side yards.

The problem is, it is a big area with a not-so-gentle slope. I can't do it all this fall, maybe just the area right in front. Also, not looking for crazy-lushness like my other gardens. This is just so I don't have to mow. :-)

The question is - how to go about it? I cannot dig it all up. It is hard soil and I would fall to my death over the rock wall. I do have an old tiller my neighbor gave me, but I've never used it.

Options - 1. Dig it all up by hand. (Ack)

1. Till it. (Scary on the hill. But if you all think it would work, I'll try it)
  2. Lasagna style garden. (Afraid the water, etc. will just run off the raised bed into the street)
  3. Plant a few things I picked up on sale. Leave the grass, then cover the area with black plastic. Top it off with mulch.

Is #4 a dumb idea? Do you think it would work? Thank you so much for any ideas. I really want to get started on this soon and I just can't decide how to do it.

This is the only picture I could find. From October, obviously. :-). The slope at the bottom goes down further and is more steep. (Unmowable)

Comments (25)

Sponsored