SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetwilson_gw

HELP! It has finally happened - my packrat parents are moving!

janetwilson
18 years ago

It started with a simple phone call from mom, chatting about the kids, my grandmother, etc. Then she hones in on the kill - "your father and I have found this really cute house in your neighborhood and it's just perfect for us - in fact we put an offer on it last night and the owners accepted it this morning". I am speechless. I am thrilled they are moving closer to my family, but the prospect of moving them is a little overwhelming.

I decide to wait and let my DH (married 18 years) in on the news until the next morning at breakfast. "By the way, mom and dad bought a new house and they are moving in 3 months". The cereal spoon drops in the bowl and I get a glare to end all glares. "You couldn't wait until after breakfast to tell me this?" I smile sweetly. The grumbling from my significant other (who knows he'll bear the brunt of packing and moving) did not stop all weekend.

Mom and Dad live 5 miles away in the house I (and 3 siblings) grew up in. The house is a 2 story, 4 bedroom traditional house. If you walked into the house you would think it was just lovely. They have an eclectic style but the mix and match furniture and accessories work and it looks great.

What you WON'T see when you walk into the house is what I know lurks upstairs and in the garage. Three bedrooms, all with large walk in closets and all stuffed to the gills with memories of the childhood of their 4 children, 3 deceased parents and years and years of collecting things that might be useful someday. There is a large overhead attic and THREE smaller attics off of each of the bedrooms. The last time I glanced into one of the smaller attics it was like stepping back in time - my little kitchen set and doll furniture were set up just like my sister and I were still playing in there. The 2 car garage has a small path to get to a workbench in back. The box for anything purchased new in the last 15 years is in the garage.

DH has suggested that we get a large dumpster. I am afraid to hurt my parents with that suggestion. What I need is a plan to get through everything. I know that many of you have been through similar situations - can you give me any advice?

Comments (20)