SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetwilson_gw

Follow Up on Moving Packrat Parents

janetwilson
18 years ago

Mother and I spent much of the weekend packing things up while Dad and DH did some repair work on the house and painting.

While cleaning out bedrooms we had 3 piles - (1) STORE FOR NEW HOUSE; (2) DISCARD; and (3) DONATE. I am happy to report that MOST things were either donated or discarded. We put donate and discard items into large black garbage bags - not being able to see what is in the bag helps eliminate anyone's temptation to pull anything out! Discard items are taken to the curb for trash pickup (the neighbors hate them right now). Mother scheduled a charity pick up for tomorrow although I'm sure they will be back a few more times before it's all said and done...

We designated things that will be going to my siblings or other relatives and have asked that they be out of the house within the next 2 weeks or the things will be donated to charity. I think I have successfully talked my parents out of the garage sale idea, it's so much easier to just donate items and not store them - plus it's 100 degrees here in Houston!

Tonight we are dropping off one of our cargo vans to leave in their driveway. My thought was that as boxes are packed they can immediately put them into the van and as the van is filled up we can move things to the storage unit. I think this will give them a feeling of accomplishment - walking around in a house filled with boxes and bags is very overwhelming. If the house is relatively clear it should be so much easier to feel that they are making progress.

We toured the new house with them last night and it is very nice, although a lot smaller than the current house. The only thing that worries me is the 4 car garage! I really don't want it to become another dumping ground for their clutter. Although my parents will never be the neat and tidy organized type, I really believe that this experience has been eye-opening for them. Hopefully it won't get this out of hand again.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I know my parents appreciate any advice from people who have gone through this themselves.

Comments (10)