SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carla_jordan98

To paint or not to paint?

Carla Jordan
4 years ago

My husband and I have recently downsized moved to our retirement home, which is a cabin with an all-wood interior....ceiling, floors, trim, and walls. Although I love the look of wood, our interior is very small and it can become overwhelming sometimes. I am considering painting the walls and trim in order to "lighten" the interior. Maybe something in a creamy white, similar to the backsplash in the kitchen. What are your thoughts?

Comments (38)

• PRO
    rob art8
    4 years ago

You could paint but for a start, if the places feels likes it needs some enhancing, some tricks to use include mirrors at strategic areas, wall art, mostly nature and seascapes work well, and would you believe it music also does a good job with enhancing a space. I personally think the rustic character of your home maybe lost if you go with a paint job..

Carla Jordan thanked rob art8
  • Related Discussions

Can I paint with latex paint over rustoleum plastic spray paint?

Q

Comments (1)
    Faron or paintguy may have better input, but here's my 2 cents. Before painting latex over oil, you need to use a primer that can coat oil paint and be top-coated with latex. I believe you'll want to stick to an oil primer for this. Once the stripe of primer has dried, you can cover it with your yellow latex. Personally, I think it'd be easier to stick with spraypaint and use delicate surface painters tape & masking paper to cover the areas you don't want yellow.
    ...See More

To paint or not to paint...Judges paneling

Q

Comments (71)
    Trends come and go, right now dark wood is out, and so in your mind your home looks dark. You bought that home for a reason, you loved the wood. Learning to decorate around the more permanent parts of your home forces you to be creative and makes a more interesting space, learn to see it as an exciting challenge. The floor is too light and so is the ceiling. It is actually the lightness that makes the wood feel so dark. Look up craftsman homes. They are only wood; pay attention to the paint colors. I promise you if you paint it all the charm will be lost and the room will feel too big.
    ...See More

To paint or not to paint

Q

Comments (2)
    I would leave them white, for now. Once you get all the walls done, you will know if they need to be painted or not. I think, they will be fine white, since you cant paint the window itself. Definitely not gray, though. Leaving white also makes the window look a bit bigger.
    ...See More

To paint or not to paint?!

Q

Comments (9)
    The wood around the fireplace doesn't look orangy in the pictures. It looks close to the floor color, so you could leave it alone. I don't really care for it however, no matter what color it is. I would remove it. Because you have those high windows on either side of the fireplace those walls look like they need a built-in, or a console under the side without the TV. Or leave the horizontal piece as a mantel but remove the sides.
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago

Agree with jck910 about lightening the cabinets. I love the wood! Especially in a cabin. To me it's the black countertops are a bit stark and harsh.

Carla Jordan thanked User
  • deegw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I also agree that painting the kitchen cabs and the fireplace surround a much lighter color would be a good start.

Less bulky, lighter furniture with a rug would help as well.

Carla Jordan thanked deegw
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I might consider painting the cabinets, but even if you did that, the color chosen needs to have some real presence to stand against the wood elements. I would absolutely not paint the wood, as has been said above, you'll lose the rustic quality of your pretty cabin if you do.

Carla Jordan thanked IdaClaire
  • Carla Jordan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I'll start with the first one; I do love the low maintenance of the wood. That is a plus! However, I just had the kitchen redone in July, so painting the cabinets is not an option. My goal was to create some contrast with the wood. I love my cabinets, appliances, and countertops. I thought about doing white cabinets and wish I had seen that picture posted by deegw before I had them done. I was afraid white would not provide enough contrast with the wood, but those look beautiful, and that wood is close to what is in my cabin, so it probably would have worked better. I have considered buying an off white sectional and am seriously looking but have not found one that will fit the space. As far as decluttering.....that's going to be hard, but I'll give it an honest try!

I feel I do have a substantial amount of wall art, all of which is nature-inspired and painted by a very talented local artist, We live in the mountains, so I'm not sure the seascapes would work. I have all the potential wall space covered, so I'm not clear as to where I would put anymore, but I may replace some of the wall art with mirrors. I agree with the music as well. It is a massive part of our environment.

Our next project is to build a creek-rock fireplace where the entertainment center is now. I think it will take up less room and will provide a much-needed break in the wood. A rug is also a good idea. A cream-colored rug was under the coffee table, but I removed it for cleaning, and had forgotten about it!

I appreciate all your honest comments and, based upon them, will probably NOT paint the walls at this time but try to lighten the feel with less bulky furniture and accessories and put the cleaned rug back into its place.

After reviewing the pictures, the kitchen cabinets do look rather dark. Do you think new, lighter, possibly stainless metal knobs would give the kitchen a lighter feel?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

Painting that wood in a cabin style home would likely depreciate the value. New knobs in the kitchen would help. Also invest in some big areas rugs to break up all the wood flooring. And as furniture is replaced stay away from wood pieces and browns. For example a white kitchen table or lighter couch would help create some contrast instead of adding to the brown.

Carla Jordan thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Carla Jordan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great advice! I agree and have decided not to paint the wood but will invest in some area rugs, new knobs on the kitchen cabinets, and a new light-colored couch.
    Thank you!

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Its a beautiful home. I love all the wood. Maybe add some better lighting, and then just enjoy living in the mountains, in a mountain home.

Carla Jordan thanked cat_ky
  • housegal200
    4 years ago

Your cabin is wonderful! Maybe paint just the island and island seating in the turquoise you already have. Light rugs will provide contrast with the walls. Really, the cabin feeling is already there. Just tweak it.

Cabin in the Woods · More Info

Western Red Cedar Ranch Style Log Home · More Info

Carla Jordan thanked housegal200
  • lmmcnitt
    4 years ago

As mentioned in several comments above, first try to break up the overwhelming, but beautiful wood with some warm rugs with contrasting color and patterns.

Carla Jordan thanked lmmcnitt
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

I think the black cabinets are striking but also suck up light. Following Sina's suggestions should help and also be easy. Nice to see you went with stainless vs dark appliances.

Carla Jordan thanked chloebud
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Consider installing a pair of pendants above the island, replacing your lamps with new ones with white shades to brighten things a bit, and adding a reading lamp by the chair left of the TV for a nice reading spot. I think you could add brass pulls and lamps so even when lights are turned off you'll see something bright. Brass is coming back. Do you have LEDs under all your upper cabinets? If not, then add them to brighten the countertops.

Carla Jordan thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jennifer
    4 years ago

I love your cozy cabin. Love the black and white checks and plaids. Add an oriental rug with red, some red accessories and you will be all set.

Carla Jordan thanked Jennifer
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

If this was mine, I would keep the wood floors, ceilings, and trim, but paint the walls a warm white. At least load some photos into a paint app and try out light colors to see what you think. It would transform the space, and you still have plenty of wood to keep it natural and cozy.

Carla Jordan thanked calidesign
  • Carla Jordan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have never used a paint app but I would love to see the change. Can you suggest one that is user-friendly and free?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Benjamin Moore has one. Go to Color, then Color a Room, and you have the option to upload your own photo and select the areas you want to change. Some people on House know how to do it also. Maybe someone can be helpful to you?

Carla Jordan thanked calidesign
  • Holly Dietrich
    4 years ago

Paint it!! It's a beautiful home. But you've gotta do something to brighten it up. Way too dark and brooding. Put some life into it. Not a face lift, just a makeover!!
    Retirement home ... not an old folks home! 😉

Carla Jordan thanked Holly Dietrich
  • Gloria H.
    4 years ago

It’s beautiful as is. It has been a long dark winter outside. Wait until the spring and then decide. Things may brighten up. :-). My home is very bright but not this time of year!

Carla Jordan thanked Gloria H.
  • Hansen
    4 years ago

Love your home and decor. For spring and summer I would change the accessories to a sunny yellow. I have a touch of yellow in every room in my house and it makes me smile.

Carla Jordan thanked Hansen
  • Hansen
    4 years ago

Yellow

• heatheron40
    4 years ago

I'm going against the grain here 😉 and suggesting paint/whitewash the ceiling in the kitchen area. I love a bright white ceiling to bounce light. It really won't take away the feel of the cabin, but lighten things up a lot! Lighter rugs and furniture will also be important as you replace things.

Carla Jordan thanked heatheron40
  • cretan64
    4 years ago

Paint. One of my favourite designers, Sarah Richardson, has a YT Chanel and is in the process of doing a contemporary chalet built in the 80’s. From all wood to all white. You will be amazed by the transformation. You can also get ideas about the paint as she explains everything in detail.

Carla Jordan thanked cretan64
  • Yayagal
    4 years ago

Your home is gorgeous and your choices were perfect for you. I love the look. If it were mine, I would add more lighting and bigger rugs and do nothing else.

Carla Jordan thanked Yayagal
  • PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    4 years ago

I have to agree the wood is beautiful and I love the black kitchen! You can lighten it up with furniture. the off white sectional is a great idea. I have a Pinterest board "wood walks that work" you can see here:
    https://pin.it/lrs72xbu5ykmle
    here are some pics I thought might inspire you.

Carla Jordan thanked Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
  • zimmer
    4 years ago

I love your black cabinets gives a nice contrast. Start with some light area rugs (something with hints of black to tie the cabinets) bring in some colourful flowers in a light coloured vase (on the island and dining table). Step back live with it for a while. The walls could look spectacular in white- a nice contrast to the wood.

Carla Jordan thanked zimmer
  • Jeanne Seefus
    4 years ago

I happen to love everything about your place. So homey.. If it's too dark, maybe a few cream colored rugs..

Carla Jordan thanked Jeanne Seefus
  • Chris Bening
    4 years ago

How about painting the poles to match cabinets? Just to give contrast from all the wood. Also get a colorful or light rug. As you replace furniture, go for lighter colors. You have a beautiful home!

Carla Jordan thanked Chris Bening
  • PRO
    Century Hardware
    4 years ago

Hey Carla Jordan,

i love the place It reminds me of the cabin my grand parents own! I would start with the cabinets. Paint them a MUCH lighter color, dark colors in small areas make it look, well... smaller and darker. I would also get new hardware for your cabinets. Hardware can really add a nice touch of shine and light to a kitchen. You Should check out what Century Hardware has to offer!

Yukon Collection · More Info

Belvedere Collection · More Info

Carla Jordan thanked Century Hardware
  • dccamera
    4 years ago

Agree! Wood is dark by nature. Even if it doesn’t look that dark wood sucks up light. To make that beautiful interior work better and feel lighter you want to add as much white as possible. The dark leather and dark cabinets probably are hurting the feel of this space the most. It’s a beautiful it just needs some smaller furniture and more white as others have suggested. Good luck. You have a beautiful home!

Carla Jordan thanked dccamera
  • Desiree
    4 years ago

A cheaper alternative to buying new lighter colored furniture would be to buy some furniture slipcovers in a cream tone. or maybe a pale yellow color.

Carla Jordan thanked Desiree
  • misecretary
    4 years ago

Your place is lovely. Another inexpensive idea is to update the light bulbs to a brighter light. In your last picture, the kitchen looks much brighter due to the window. I don't see windows in any of the other pics. I'm sure you have them, just wondering what type of window treatment you have and if they should be considered in the overall update.

Carla Jordan thanked misecretary
  • Mary Tavarez
    4 years ago

Simple fix is add recess lights all through your home and highlight with the lights some of your paintings. you will love it. Please consider that first.

Carla Jordan thanked Mary Tavarez
  • PRO
    Architecture by Collette Capellupo
    4 years ago

love the wood, and retiring to a cabin, I'm so jealous. you could certainly add some light through the pieces around the room. a quick white wash to the table and chair set and the coffee table. I love the black white check theme you have started, keep going with that and pretty soon the wood will fade into the background. maybe white wash the two columns and maybe pick an accent wall to paint to add some contast to the wood. and I think the rugs will go a long way to brighten up the space. if you do decide to paint some of the wood, remember, the wood will always be there to return to for you or another later. good luck and happy sleeping in, you deserve it.

Carla Jordan thanked Architecture by Collette Capellupo
  • Nancy
    4 years ago

We also have just retired to our mountain cabin and are in the middle of a complete renovation. Part of it is painting all the tongue and grove white. We are keeping the ceiling and floors wood, just refinishing them. I am adding wood elements back in. I also have painted all the windows black. I really like contrast so with the white tongue and grove I can keep dark richer colors in my furniture. Good luck to you😎

Carla Jordan thanked Nancy
  • Carla Jordan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! That's exactly what I was planning to do with ours. I would love to see pics of your finished product.

• Brandi
    4 years ago

I would honestly start with a lighter color rug on the floor to brighten it up. Live with it for a few weeks and if you still think it’s too dark, then I would try the paint app another person suggested above. Painting can be expensive (even if you DIY it), and a pain to get the wood back to normal if you don’t like it.
    Another option is to buy a lighter couch so there are fewer pieces of dark furniture in a wood interior house... just a thought 😁

Carla Jordan thanked Brandi
  • Carol jean Mudgett
    4 years ago

Did you see the white in the room made it more modern furry blankets light rugs and curtains white dishes it made it look dreamy

Carla Jordan thanked Carol jean Mudgett