SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylor_dickerson19

To paint or not to paint...Judges paneling

Taylor Dickerson
5 years ago

My husband and I just moved into our very first home. Our living room is covered from floor to ceiling with wood paneling. He wants to keep it as is but I think we can update the space with a little paint. The dilemma is that we both love the richness of wood, but how to best incorporate that to the design. Current thought is to leave the beams and the handrail with the natural wood elements. I’m having difficulty deciding on if I should leave the wood that frames the perimeter of each panel as well. The last photo is the color I’d like to do (and if anyone knowa what it is we would appreciate it). We are also planning on putting hickory vinyl wood floors in. Thanks everyone!

Comments (71)

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

Don't ruin that house. It has a very specific Late Century Contemporary style, sometimes termed 80's Contemporary. The use of wood, brick, and stone, is deliberate. It's as integral to that home style as gingerbread is to a Victorian. This is a style that has begun to really appreciate in many markets. It's an outgrowth of the high demand for original Mid Century homes that are in insufficient supply. They are currently the more affordable style, compared to MCM, but won't remain that way long. But the ones with the original details are the ones that will command the premium prices.

• Related Discussions

To paint or not to paint paneling

Q

Comments (7)
    Elle I love that picture you posted. Do you think that is paneling? It looks like all walnut to match the floors, but maybe individual slats? Gosh, I'm in love with that look. I'm guessing Amanda probably has nice (perhaps walnut) paneling from the 50s (like my parents have in their den). It's dark, but is nice (but dark) since they have 8ft ceilings and no can lights, but it's an office library. I personally like it now....it's all back in again, except for the faux grout lines...lol. (I had the uglier 70s paneling (brownish green cast) in my den and ripped it out. Thank God because there were good, clean walls behind it). Amanda, if you have one room you absolutely hate, maybe you can pull it out to see what the walls look like behind it, then leave it in some rooms?
    ...See More

two-story foyer, need help choosing white paint for judges panel

Q

Comments (4)
    I was going to suggest White Dove. Another option is Benjamin Moore Cloud White. Chantilly Lace OC-65 Here is a sample of these three popular colors with their shades.
    ...See More

To paint or not to paint? Questions about wood paneling....

Q

Comments (24)
    That entry is absolutely exquisite! Whatever you do, keep that space the way it is. I do enjoy seeing well preserved specimens of high end mid century interiors. I agree with others about living in the house for a while before you do anything. We bought a mostly unadulterated Victorian, and we had fantasies of getting a bunch of stuff done before moving in (5 months from close to move in), but ended up only refinishing some floors (low impact change). Now I'm super glad we didn't try to do anything - we're getting a sense of how we live in this house (it turns out we use the butler stairs A LOT, and my husband had wanted to tear them out!) and a sense of the small things that wouldn't have even occurred to us before we'd spent time living here, like the fact that we need to add a second ceiling light at the far end of the hall, that we need some more electrical outlets in the dining room, etc.
    ...See More

What paint should I use to paint over these raw wood panel walls?

Q

Comments (1)
    It is a lot of work, but here are instructions: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/house-one/21558584/how-to-paint-bare-wood What is going on with the door? I've never seen anything like it. Is it an exterior door?
    ...See More
  • Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is the paint color I’m considering!
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

PS managed to find the listing..they meshed styles there of course..the house is not very cohesive right now. Yet I'd rather refine/define other parts.

Taylor Dickerson thanked aprilneverends
  • Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Being the owner of a nearly 110 year old home with original quartersawn oak I fall into the “don’t paint” camp! However, at the very least live in the home for awhile to be absolutely sure you want to paint. Once you have painted that beautiful woodwork it is virtually impossible to go back! Other posters have mentioned ways to lighten up the interior through rugs/furnishings/wall colors. Here’s a link to an article “When you shouldn’t paint your paneling”... https://carlaaston.com/designed/paint-wood-paneling
  • Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Laura, I go back and forth about it. It’s just so MUCH wood paneling (all four walls and two stories). We are going to live in it for a bit but we need to make a decision on the floors ASAP (my allergies can’t take the carpeting). And it’s hard to pick floors without vision of what’s happening with the rest of the room.

My style is more traditional with some French country elements!
  • GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

A neutral dark gray slate, or a natural oak would complement the existing wood very well.

• live_wire_oak
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That is so gorgeous! Do not paint cherry! Do a great complimentary floor like the slate or maybe a terra cotta tile. That could tie into your love of French Country without dishonoring the house.

• larkspurproject
    5 years ago

following

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

@GreenDesigns, I love the charcoal slate idea for the flooring. And she could also put a coordinating slate stacked stone on the fireplace. That creamy brick is really dated, IMO.

• Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @aprilneverends I’d love to hear more of your ideas! I don’t know how to message you on Houzzz.
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

Don’t paint the paneling ... it will only cheapen the house & make it look like every other ticky-tacky tract house “updated” to sell. Concentrate on adding quality finishes to enhance it. There are so many directions you could go ... If finances are an issue I would just wait on some things until I could do it right.

• sloyder
    5 years ago

I would replace the railings with either an iron, or modern railing style. No painting of the paneling.

• Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Klaurence, what suggestions do you have? Specifically?
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

Quality flooring & I agree with the suggestion to redo the banisters. It’s really a beautiful space. If it were mine I would seek professional advice. Good luck, it’s really special IMO.

• lindastein
    5 years ago

following ...

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Taylor I managed to find a "message" button on this newly-mulfunctioning site lol(they changed the interface lately..)..when you click on somebody's profile the message button should appear on the profile picture(the banner or how it's called) to the left, next to the Facebook button. Thanks to you I found it by the way, because I also couldn't find it recently.

I'm afraid though I won't live to your expectations:)

And I did think of your place, and remembered one of my favorite books..you're in Louisiana right? There's this book I love-by Valorie Hart-"House Proud: unique home design Louisiana". I don't remember if any of the showcased houses (she describes modest to grand but all indefinitely cool) has such paneling, but no matter-I always admired big style you guys have there in general, and this book, it's a wonderful source of inspiration. Maybe you've read it?

And I just want to add.." And it’s hard to pick floors without vision of what’s happening with the rest of the room. "-you're absolutely right, that's the way of thinking about it, going about it. You get the overall vision, even vague in the beginning, and you go from there

Of course it's overwhelming to see all the wood paneling at first. You don't have much yet next to it, it's just tons of paneling.

To see just studs is very overwhelming too, believe me:) Especially as studs are not pretty at all..

I think it's normal. It's a normal beginning. It'll be great.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

This house is actually contemporary: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4629-Argonne-St_Metairie_LA_70001_M88275-64778#photo8

I'd get rid of the carpet, go contemporary on the rails and the floor.

• Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @groveraxle That is amazing how you did that! I love the new balusters and getting rid of the carpet stairs look!

I’m not sure how I feel about the dark charcoal floors. A few people have suggested it but the space is actually pretty dark and smaller than it appears in the pictures (wide angle lens pictures done by the Realtor). And I’m not a huge fan of very dark floors. But I don’t think the current floors complement the wood very well. I’m currently leaning towards doing a wood in a slightly lighter stain than the paneling and putting lots of rugs!

You’re absolutely correct about the mid-century modern style of the living area. The problem I have is that the updates in the other areas of the home are very traditional. So we are already clashing styles and the house is a bit all over the place at the moment. I think my vision will complement what is going on in the rest of the house well. However I don’t want to just bulldoze over the original style of the home. Personally I love wood elements but it does seem like a lot of wood and the color of the stain wouldn’t be my personal choice. The panels are in need of some TLC. They have dried out some and the stain had faded significant or taken other damage over the years. But I can’t imagine the cost of sanding it all and re-staining it.

I’m considering hiring an interior decorator to help us out but I’m afraid that will be out of my price range as a first time home buyer.
  • Jennifer Svensson
    5 years ago

I’m no pro but I can appreciate the beauty of original features, but if that were my home I’d paint it every day of the week.. a soft white/gray color. Change the floors and the brick fireplace. In my opinion the brick really dates the space. Either way, I hope you do what you like- it’s your home. Best of luck!

• sunshine home
    5 years ago

I think the problem is the colour of the stain, It’s too orange. I’m not versed in wood paneling at all, but is it not possible to have it all refinished in a more contemporary stain colour? I imagine it would be quite expensive though.

• sunshine home
    5 years ago

I think the problem is the colour of the stain, It’s too orange. I’m not versed in wood paneling at all, but is it not possible to have it all refinished in a more contemporary stain colour? I imagine it would be quite expensive though.

• teresale2013
    5 years ago

I am also in the minority.

That paneling is way too much wood--even though the wood does look good. All that wood overpowers the space.

IMO-paint

• Rina
    5 years ago

Still following, but rats, I can't see Groveraxle's comment (and, I gather, mockup). I feel cheated.

• jen shain
    5 years ago

Only go with what SPARKS YOUR JOY. Nothing else matters. imho, I think the paneling looks very orange. I think the grey would look much prettier. But what would make YOU happy is the ONLY voice you should listen to :)

• Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mock-up for everyone!
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I can't see groveraxle's comment anymore too and it was there yesterday. maybe website's misbehaving and it will reappear?

in any case, wanted to add-to paint properly, one needs to sand too..as far as I know. It's a very big endeavor. I can't even imagine the cost, but I bet pros here would know. And there are other things to attend to in the house which'd serve it better like flooring and ballusters(I like groveraxle's mockup) and tweaking some other things around the house just a bit so it'd read more cohesive.

I like the current stain of cherry, but that's my personal preference. I like cherry being either natural or warm like that. I think it'd be a very handsome background for art. With rugs, furnishings of different textures and materials, etc-I think it'd be amazing.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

You could work successfully with the wood paneling if you embrace the style and add Arts & Crafts style furnishings.

• User
    5 years ago

Look at doing a terrazzo tile for the floors in a light color rather than adding in additional wood tones. Fritztile.com check out their $2.99 sale section.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Have you thought about selling the house and buying one that is more in your style? I would not want that much wood paneling in my house either, but I also realize that painting it will decrease the value of the house.

I did live in a house once that had beautiful dark wood paneling, and while I did not like the paneling (it was dark and depressing), I could not see painting it. I have painted wood paneling before, but it was cheap paneling. The wood you have was not meant to be painted, but if you plan to be there for decades, then it is yours to paint. If you will be there for a short time, then it probably is not the best idea to paint.

Consider hanging art or tapestries over some of the paneling to lighten it up. I like Beverly's rug and chandelier selections.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

I'm in the camp of paint the paneling. It's not like it is raised paneling or something super fancy. I would also take it a step further and remove the thin trim pieces placed in the middle of it. This will also modernize it some. Those trim pieces actually bother me more than anything. Particularly under the cat walk area. That area looks odd to me.

• Taylor Dickerson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have not considered Arts and Craft style and I will look into that! I definitely want a big chandelier or some other light fixture. It is a great space for that.

@Lyfia it is funny you mention the trim pieces because the more I look at them the more I want to remove them. They seem to me to be relatively cheap pieces of trim nailed to the wood paneling. A few of those pieces are loose and the paneling is not significantly discolored beneath. I would think some wood oil would bring back some life to it! The trim pieces also don’t match the panels themselves but are closer to the color of the beams. So I am thinking I should have them removed!
  • homechef59
    5 years ago

Respect the house. Respect the architecture. Respect what is unique about the house. I know you are in the enthusiastic planning phase right now. Let it wear off a bit. Move in and think about it. Stare at it for a while.

While this may not be your style, I suggest living in it for two years. My best decisions have come with waiting and thinking. Don't do anything rash. You can't undo a painting decision when it comes to wood paneling. Be prepared to change your mind a dozen times.

There are a lot of moving parts to this solution. Because it's so complicated and because that fireplace is such a dominating feature, you need professional consultation that will understand materials, design and budget. I suggest spending some of the renovation budget on an experienced designer consultation. Do this in person, not on line.

I would keep the cherry, but I love beautiful wood and recognize that this is a very expensive feature of your new home. Others dream about having such fine materials in their homes. You may ultimately decide to paint it, but know what the final plan will be before you take a step that is irrevocable.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

BTW I don't think that's cherry or anything particularly fancy as I said before. Not sure on wood species, but it is missing the cherry grain from what I can tell when zooming in on listing photos. I think you should paint it and then the kitchen will look better too and will work better with the house, assuming you'll also paint those trim pieces in the dine-in area by the kitchen.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    I would paint it!. That's a lot of wood for a slightly over 2,000 sq ft house. I'd add fairly light/medium color wood floors throughout.
  • User
    5 years ago

I would say if you are planning to resell then don't paint and find temporary decor to compliment, if this is your forever home, do what you want and your ideas of only keeping the beams and stairway are on point.

• User
    5 years ago

NSR HANDCRAFTS- are you just going to give the same exact advice to everybody or are you going to comment on the particular space, ugh AD!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I like Beverly's Arts & Crafts suggestions. The only problem with that is this:

The house is an odd mix of styles that will take somewhat of a deft hand to get them to play nicely together. Still, the Arts & Crafts could work.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Hmm, as someone who bought a beachhouse, of all things, with dark panelling, and opted to keep it, I do see your dilemma. I used light and bright colors on my furnishings and rugs and I used a lot of window treatments (a lot for me) to cover some of the wood.

And while the wood is lovely in and of itself, that does not rule out the possibility that it was a mistake to use it in that house and in that way. I also, and this is just me, find the beams less formal than the panelling and might remove or paint over those.

I think Grover's railings are a perfect choice. They downplay the formality.

FWIW the ceiling fan really does not work.

I tend to agree that the issue is not the wood so much as the stain, that any decisions must incorporate your fpl decision, and that you need to lighten things up.

What are you thinking re budget? All of this will be quite costly; I assume the house was discounted.

For your first decision, I would use seagrass or sisal rugs

ETA - another off the wall idea, but ... along the top row, could you cover the inset panels with an off white muslin? And/or hang a lot of art? Huge b/w photos maybe.

• Janet Carter
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the molding & the character that it provides. I would paint it a crisp white. However, I love white and how it brightens up a room. Congratulations on your new home!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

That is simply 4x8 plywood that is not anything that cant be taken down or simply painted over. It is not quality wood or woodwork, sorry.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

@Taylor, I just noticed your recent post of the painted paneling in the light gray/blue. Please remember that this paneling is PAINT-GRADE paneling, not cherry. It's most likely maple or even MDF and never meant to be anything other than painted. Your paneling is cherry, and was designed be stain grade to expose the grain. So while I love the painted dining room paneling you posted, it would still really be a shame to paint over the cherry wood.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Wanna says it is plywood?

You know what, paint is the easiest and most straightforward. Why are we contorting ourselves. Even if it is cherry, it is not like it is the last remaining example of it.

Get out the brushes and be done with it.

• User
    5 years ago

Trends come and go, right now dark wood is out, and so in your mind your home looks dark. You bought that home for a reason, you loved the wood. Learning to decorate around the more permanent parts of your home forces you to be creative and makes a more interesting space, learn to see it as an exciting challenge. The floor is too light and so is the ceiling. It is actually the lightness that makes the wood feel so dark. Look up craftsman homes. They are only wood; pay attention to the paint colors. I promise you if you paint it all the charm will be lost and the room will feel too big.

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

Maybe tile floors? We replaced beige carpet with these. Granted it was for a study not a living room...

i would consider painting the stairs charcoal maybe and doing rustic chandeliers since you like French country and painting fireplace cream

• Edis Wu
    3 years ago

What did you decide to do with the paneling. We are moving into a house full of nicer wall paneling, and I cant decide whether I want to paint it and how much of it I want to paint.

• Pauline G
    3 years ago

follow - we have a similar situation. Mostly heart pine and mystery-veneer covered plywood. All the trim in the house is pine. Built in 1989. House is in Tennessee

Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

This post is so old I doubt the OP will be back. But for the above, what dont you like about the room as is?

• smallysaenz
    last year

Taylor! what did you end up doing with the paneling? I have a crazy similar project and would love to know what you decided!

• Tamara I
    3 months ago

Yes! Please share end result. Thanks :)