SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moneypit2020

Pantry countertop options

moneypit2020
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I will have a 7x7 pantry off of my kitchen. For one wall, I want to put a countertop that is about 21 inches deep and 7 feet long. It will have white wire shelving installed above. Below, I'll have just two 15" base cabinets. I ordered them mostly for support of the countertop, and they're the primary reason for having the counter 21 inches deep, because I think they're 20 inches deep. Because of outlet location on that wall (one outlet on each end), I have to center those cabinets rather than putting one on each end to support the counter. It'll look a little funny but that doesn't bother me much because it's just a pantry.

I'm trying to get ideas and opinions on countertop material. If we happen to get a granite remnant big enough, I might put it there. But I doubt we'll have one big enough. So it is more likely to be laminate. My carpenter mentioned that laminate doesn't come pre-made for the 21 inch depth and it will add cost to cut it to the right depth. He suggested butcher block, it would be cheaper and easier to cut.

One thing that further complicates the issue is that I only have 21 inches from the wall to the door opening (trim isn't up yet), and if I have a 21 inch counter, it will need the trim to be cut around it. Or I could have the countertop cut at an angle on that side so it clears the trim (I feel this might look worse than just working around the trim).

I don't care too much about the look of this countertop, I would prefer to go with what makes sense from a cost and practical standpoint. I won't be handling meat on this counter. It will be a space to use my mixer (rolling out cookie dough, etc), panini maker, blender, bread maker. Appliances that finally can sit out and get used. I don't want anything high maintenance, and my biggest concern with butcher block is that it may collect bacteria or smells over time. I'm very funny about chemicals/toxins, so although I'll be using a cutting board, I can't guarantee my kids will follow the same rules and it has to be safe for handling food. I was told oiling butcher block would make it safer for food, but high maintenance. Polyurythane would seal it nicely, but not as safe to have food on it.

Anyway, I hope that paints a picture of what I want to do with the space. Any suggestions or experiences?

Comments (16)