SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Feedback on bathroom design

artemis78
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are in the early stages of planning for a bathroom addition and I would love any feedback on overall design from those who are more experienced in this! For context, this is a small house (1200 sf 2BR/1BA) and we are doing this within the existing footprint, so this is not going to have extensive storage space or a spacious shower, and clearances are going to be minimal. Because space is tight, though, we want to be smart about placement of each fixture.

This is my current thinking on design. The blue bathroom is the new bathroom; the black bathroom is mostly existing, except that currently the toilet is flush with the sink (leaving only a foot of clearance to the tub, which is not to code and pretty uncomfortable to use--hoping to take advantage of this project to push it back to have 24" of clearance). This is a 36" x 42" shower; I don't think we can get anything bigger in there without pushing further into the bedroom space. The current bathroom is 6'x8.5'; the new bathroom would be 4.5' x 8.5' and would have a pocket door (24" or bigger if we can fit it). We're a family of four (two adults, two school-aged children).

This is the space we're starting with. Big square is the existing master bedroom (12'x12') with a closet (3'x6') and office (9'x6') off of it. We would be taking down that wall and pushing the bedroom to the back of the house to add a new bathroom immediately opposite the existing bathroom, and to restructure the closet as a more traditional 24" deep space. (The doors on the right side of the image open to the second bedroom.) The top and bottom walls in the image are load-bearing; the other walls are not.

Any feedback, cautions, or suggestions would be welcome. (We will be looking for a design/build firm to work with so hope to get some more ideas there, but are hoping to have a pretty good sense of what the ask is before we start interviewing.) Thank you!

Comments (5)