SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trizzacasa__

Make my large living room cozy! My wife and I are helpless

Thomas Rizzaccasa
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My wife and I recently moved into an old house that was once a summercamp, but was recently converted into a home. The first floor is extremely open - where the living room is the mess hall the camp-goers once at in. The kitchen/dining area are taken care of, so now we have one mission: make this large 39'x30' living room as comfortable and cozy as possible - however want to minimize the feeling of an "elk's lodge". All ideas are welcome.

Here's a few comments about our style/ideas so far (although nothing has been done yet):

• Farmhouse style (modern or industrial farmhouse aesthetic)
  • Preferably keep the TV on the wall between the columns and not over the fireplace.
  • No need for a dining room table in the living room - that's already taken care of elsewhere in the house.
  • I'd like to have a centralized seating area serve for both TV and fireplace enjoyment and not have two separate seating areas so close by. I'm concerned about being too far from the TV if we put a large sectional/couch in the middle of the room (20 feet away from the TV). Is it better to just have two seating areas or is one possible?
  • We're removing the chandler, wood paneling and projector.
  • Thoughts on new lighting sources for such a large room with an exposed truss?

Thank you!

Comments (25)