SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccbay_gw

picture of late wife in my living room

ccbay
19 years ago

Hi--I read a recent post about old family pictures. I am in a similar situation. I have a long involved story, but one particular issue right now. I have been married to a widower (3 grown children, another story) for 3 years. I am 47, he is 57. Late wife has been dead six years (she died suddenly). The ghost is omnipresent and no one in the family seems to have "properly" grieved. Hard to explain but things are mostly morose and it isn't usually discussed at all, to the point where grown skids even leave the room if there is a movie with a death or funeral in it. I know there were lots of unresolved issues. Anyway, my husband is going through some family sadness and grief. He recently lost his brother and his sister is quite ill. I believe that he may now be mourning his late wife much more than in the past. He suddenly wants to put up a picture of her in our living room, says he feels he is betraying her! After 3 years of marriage...Do I sound heartless? I realize grief comes in waves. My husband is pretty depressed lately with his family losses. It is hard to help him except to be there. But, I do not want a picture of her on the shelf near our wedding picture, etc. I just don't want to look at it every day. I guess I feel like I'm being betrayed if he puts it right in the living room... and my family and friends will also see it. That makes me very uncomfortable. There are a few pictures of he and LW upstairs, in the skids extra room, and this is enough for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!

BTW, we recently started marriage counseling, belatedly, for the many stepfamily issues we have. Adult skids can be just as hard as little ones. He wouldn't go before now, so it is helping. The counselor seems to be leaning towards his side (!) with the picture issue and we are still working it out...am I wrong to feel this way?

Comments (9)