SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

What kind of icing for fine lines on gingerbread?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I bought a gingerbread house kit plus gingerbread cookies in shapes of people and animals to “populate” the yard. I plan to assemble it and decorate for my 18 month old granddaughter. I am also going to make marzipan animals and fruit in the yard. (Luckily Ikea has the marzipan dough, so all I need to do is knead in colors and form and decorate them … not that that’s exactly a snap, but it beats making it from just almond paste).

Most gingerbread houses are decorated with a lot of candy. I think my son and daughter-in-law would prefer it if I kept the candy to a minimum. So I will add some but most of the decoration will be lines with the icing.

I know Royal icing is the usual but I’d like to know if there are alternatives.

1) It seems like a pain to make

2) I took a cookie decorating workshop last year (the instructor made up all the icing), and the icing got a bit strange after a few days. I don’t know how to describe it other than blurry. There was a lot of icing left over, so I took it home, baked more cookies that same afternoon, and used it up. They were beautiful for 3 days, and then not so much.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (23)